Tuck 'em in with a drink of water

tdgill

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 28, 2009
Cecil Co. MD - 5Yrs. Chickens 4Yrs. Ducks
OK, I know this is nutty and probably a bad habit, but I started tucking my small flock in at nite (when it was really hot out) with a snack of cold tomatoes and a nice cold drink of water out of a small waterer. They are so spoiled! They sit on their roosts and I take about ten minutes letting two or three at a time drink out of the waterer that I hold up to them. It seemed like from the start they were soooo thirsty! Do they not get a drink before bedtime on their own? So far, its been fun for me and they really seem to enjoy it themselves. Anyone else do this?

Oh heavens!

No.
lol.png

I don't even have the time to tuck mine in at all beyond shutting the coop door and locking it and most nights one of the kids does that.
wink.png

No, mine have me trained somewhat but not with the water dish.....I had a greyhound years ago that did not want to drink out of a dish on the floor. He had a raises feeder and waterer at home. So whenever we went to the park, travel or anywhere I had to 'water' him....hold his dish up so he would drink...
th.gif
And my cat wanted to drink from the faucet.....She would sit in the tub, sink, wherever and wait for me to turn the water on just a bit. The only other thing she accepted was water out of a glass or tall mug...no water dishes for her
lau.gif

Last edited:
thats so funny
lol.png
just tonight i was a tad late in 'putting to bed' and my two older (almost 2years old) EE's were already roosting. I always throw a snack in the coop upon closing door, but seeing tthe two already nite nite, i took a handful to each as well, and let them snack from my hand... Gotta love us, we love our babies.

Quote:
smile.png
that is funny, but sweet. I have to admit that a couple days ago I would have thought this was nuts, but just tonight my husband brought home our first chickens!!!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

When I held those little girls in my hands I knew they would be spoiled...SO snuggly...I really didnt expect to want to cuddle them. But for fear of getting pooped on I just put them in thier coop to get comfortable and familiar with thier new surroundings...then I tossed them some sunflower seeds (I hear they like them, but no one cared to eat any) and then my husband and I sat and talked to them for quite a while...ya this is fun.

smile.png
that is funny, but sweet. I have to admit that a couple days ago I would have thought this was nuts, but just tonight my husband brought home our first chickens!!!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

When I held those little girls in my hands I knew they would be spoiled...SO snuggly...I really didnt expect to want to cuddle them. But for fear of getting pooped on I just put them in thier coop to get comfortable and familiar with thier new surroundings...then I tossed them some sunflower seeds (I hear they like them, but no one cared to eat any) and then my husband and I sat and talked to them for quite a while...ya this is fun.

How old were your chicks when you got them? They won't eat sunflower seed until they are at least 5 weeks or more.​

Last edited:
OMG!
ya.gif
Just when you think you've heard it all...

Chickens used to be farm animals and nothing more but as you all know, many of them really have quite friendly and cute personalities. I've had chickens for about 10 years and didn't realize this until about...let's be specific here...Sept of 2008, when I a White-faced black Spanish pullet I'd gotten as a chick in the spring, scared the socks off me when she flew up from the rear and landed on the top of my head. This became quite the game; I always wore a hoodie to the coop; I fed her up there. Had a couple EE's, and a Blackstar who wanted in on the fun, too. It was fun for a while until I got tired of the chicken poop on my hoodie and...that was the end of that game.

Then we developed another fun thing to do which was a lot cleaner. This group of chicens I got last year has always roosted in two groups, one on the roost and the other on the nesting boxes. The nesting box group has always been more people friendly and so I started going in after they were on the roost and hand feeding some bread. A couple of the girls over on the roost got wind of what was happening so they would come over, too. I still had to keep my eye out for head sitters. Got my glasses knocked off a couple times.

I don't know exactly how cold it gets in MD in the winter but if you're anything like me...that's when the games ended.
love.gif
your chickens

Last edited:
I predict a snowy but hopefully not too cold winter. lol. I imagine on winter nites the snack will be warm oat meal and who knows, maybe warmed up water if they like it, I will try both cold and warm water to see what they like best! lol. It's pretty neat feeding them treats on the roost, you can hear them eating and swallowing. glurp glurp. I like the sound of them drinking too. gurgle gurgle. hahahah.

Back
Top Bottom