tuf chicken/how to cook

1 old hen

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 4, 2013
What is the secret to cooking farm raized chickens and making them tender? When I cook mine they seem tuf and dry. I have tried baking, frying and roasting. Do I need to marinade or what to make them tender? Thankes 1 old hen

Im no expert, but in my short experience cooking them in broth in the crock pot is ok, some are still tough though, and canning them works well too....however because they are old and egg layers you sometimes just have tough birds =S

There are really only 2 ways to cook them, Hot and fast or low and slow. We skin and cut up most of the birds we process to save freezer space and skinning is much faster than plucking. The breast fillets you can cook on the grill using the hot and fast method, just a few minutes on each side so they cook through but don't over cook or they will dry out and get tough. On younger birds you can debone the thighs and cook the same way but older birds the thighs will be chewy. When I cook leg quarters or whole birds on the grill I put them in a pan with a raised rack and cook uncovered until I get the smoke I want on them then add water, cover with foil and slow cook until the meat falls off the bone. A super fast way to cook them is in a pressure cooker 15 minutes at 15 pounds and the meat falls off the bones plus you get a bunch a good chicken stock. We cook a full pot using the pressure cooker then bag and freeze the meat. You can use that meat for taco's or casseroles.

I did my last Roo in broth, on a simmer, for about three hours. Then I shredded the meat, and we had tacos. It was fantastic way better then our last three. Any chicken or beef broth, with a little garlic and salt. Super easy.

I think a brine is the best way to go, especially with Rooster.

My Rooster tacos consist of getting the most annoying Roo, and processing. I leave the skin on and pluck if I am going to freeze as the skin protects against freezer burn, and keeps moisture in the meat. Before eating, thaw and/or soak the Roo/Chicken in Brine. Steps to brine are found here via Food Network (http://www.food.com/recipe/basic-brine-for-juicy-tender-chicken-or-turkey-306144). This is also an excellent time to add flavors by adding liquid flavoring Bourbon, whiskey, coffee, etc. A quick google search will give you several million ideas to try. The net net is Brining enhances juiciness in several ways. First of all, muscle fibers simply absorb liquid during the brining period. Some of this liquid gets lost during cooking, but since the meat is in a sense more juicy at the start of cooking, it ends up juicier. We can verify that brined meat and fish absorb liquid by weighing them before and after brining. Brined meats typically weigh six to eight percent more than they did before brining—clear proof of the water uptake. This is another reason that adding liquid flavoring helps the taste of the bird. Its also why you see so many "reduced salt" varieties in grocery stores who brine with excessive amounts of salt to increase the weight of the meat and ensure it is as good and juicy as possible to increase repeat business.

For old birds, and certain breeds, they will naturally be stringier. I would suggest on these to brine, and slow cook. I tend to make chicken tacos with meat I think will be stringy. Take all the meat off the bird and put in crock pot, for a average size bird, I use two packets of taco seasoning from the Grocery store and 2-3 cans of organic reduced sodium black beans. ( You don't want the extra salt especially after a long brine). and veggies of choice. I typically add diced onion, sometimes corn, peppers, and for added health, the super food, quinoa, any of these could/should be added to taste.

Combine all in a croc-pot, and cook on lowest setting for 6-8 hours. ( if you combine it all before you leave for work in the morning, you come home to a very delicious taco dinner ready to serve that evening.).

Hope that helps!
~Josh

Back
Top Bottom