Tumor removal surgery / reintroducing to flock

tdarr4131

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2018
Good morning!
I need advice, 2 out of my 4 hens are having issues and I’m stressing!

Beatrice is my favorite hen, she is 3 1/2 years old. She was acting really lethargic last Wednesday and stopped eating and drinking. I took her to the vet Thursday and he said that she had a large (possibly cancerous) tumor in her reproductive tract. He said her only option was surgery or euthanasia. We opted for the surgery and she had one large tumor and one small tumor removed on Friday. I have her separated from the flock and she is recovering nicely. My plan was to reunite her with the flock on Friday or Saturday after she has her stitches removed but now I don’t know if that’s a good idea. One of my other hens had a spot on her foot that I was watching but I guess I slacked off some last week because of Beatrice’s situation and now the hen’s foot looks really bad. It looks like she has two large swollen areas on the top of her foot and it looks like a bad case of bumblefoot. I saw some blood in the coop last night and her foot had dried blood on one of the swollen spots. I plan to soak her foot and attempt surgery tonight after I get off work but I don’t know what my best course of action is on who to separate and for how long. I’m trying to avoid the vet for the hen with bumblefoot if at all possible.

Would it not be wise to put Beatrice back with the flock on Friday or Saturday after her stitches are removed or should I wait longer? She will be one week post-op at that point and I want to get her back to her flock as soon as I can. I plan to clean the bedding out of the coop and I feel like it would be wise to sanitize the coop/ roosts, especially before introducing Beatrice back but what should I disenfect with? How long should I keep the hen with bumblefoot separated? My main concern is the staph infection from the bumblefoot spreading to the other chickens or to Beatrice when she is reintroduced, especially since her incision will be sitting on top of the roost bar when she roosts up at night.

Sorry if this post is long-winded or confusing and thanks for any advice!

Treating bumblefoot involves removing the pus with the staph bacteria and bandaging so it shouldn't spread.

Blue kote on wounds helps camouflage them so the other chickens will ignore them.

Reintegration should be done gradually using a safe enclosure - a large crate or a sectioned off space in the run. Usually, a returning chicken can safely roost at night, but you may need to remove the chicken in the morning and place them in their safe enclosure. Perhaps a week of this and the hen can return to mingling with the flock.

Back
Top Bottom