Tuna is Sick! šŸ™šŸ»

ANiceKaren

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
Frazier Park California
Hi friends,
My 1.5 year old Easter Egger Petunia ā€œTunaā€ isnā€™t her normal self at all! It came on quite suddenly yesterday. The morning was normal behavior and then by mid-afternoon she was laying around tail down but also kind of up at times which made me think she was egg bound. She was moving slowly when she did move. Normally first one in at night.. very slow moving now. This morning she came out of run slowly.. and did this for about 30 min. (See first pic) I gave her a calcium tab last night and today. She popped an egg out on the ground versus in nesting box which she never does. Too sick to get to box or perhaps calcium caught her off guard? She has eaten a little crumbles that I wet for her and Iā€™ve seen her drink a little. Really not herself. Now she is back in nesting box and has been there all morning? Next steps? How often can I give her calcium citrate tabs? Should I do another today or wait till tomorrow? Do you think this is an egg issue? Something else? Iā€™m worried perhaps she is sick from recent rats that came into coop! Iā€™ve been trying to trap but they are smart and I wonā€™t use poison? All my other girls are acting fine. My mind is all over the place as to what is making her sick. Should I start antibiotics? She is pooping and no worms.. seems normal.. maybe a tad ā€œcreamyā€. We are in a recent, abnormal for our area, heat wave too..? Iā€™ve been giving them electrolytes (choice) and I have tried to give her some Rooster Booster vitamins but you know how that goes. More on me than in her! I appreciate all the help.

Attachments

• 83E9E025-8071-4B15-A6C6-784223EDAD3E.png
    83E9E025-8071-4B15-A6C6-784223EDAD3E.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    536.5 KB · Views: 3
Hi everyone! Just wanted to update that Tuna seems better!! Much more like herself! I think the egg was stuck and she was feeling the effects of that and the heat! Iā€™m so glad she is better! Thank you all so much! I may Conroe calcium next few days through this heat.

Giver her calcium citrate daily. Can you offer her a raw yolk to see if she'll eat? When was the last time she laid an egg? Did you notice any yolk or egg white coming from her vent? What are you feeding them?

How about wings out?
No.. every once in a while if they are in sun or come from a warmer place. They have lots of shade and cool water. They free range and have a fully shaded run with fan and misters šŸ˜‚ I donā€™t think whatā€™s going on with her is the heat unless heat can just in general make them eat/drink less and act lethargic. She got up a few times today to free range and eat a tiny bit.

Is she maybe at the start of a hard molt? My Orpington, Poppy, is acting similarly. At first glance, Poppy doesn't look like she's molting, but a look between her feathers, and she looks like a pincushion.

And the heat can do this. Some chickens suffer more from the heat than others.
Thank you. Perhaps starting a molt although Iā€™m not seeing feathers but it could come! One of my other girls is in a molt too. She is eating now! Walking around more as well. Still it totally herself but not worse either so thatā€™s a win for me. I hope tomorrow is even better. One more day of this awful heat. Thanks for your help

Thank you. Perhaps starting a molt although Iā€™m not seeing feathers but it could come! One of my other girls is in a molt too. She is eating now! Walking around more as well. Still it totally herself but not worse either so thatā€™s a win for me. I hope tomorrow is even better. One more day of this awful heat. Thanks for your help
You're welcome! Keep is posted. I'm def pulling for her!

Your username fits: you ARE a nice Karen!

Back
Top Bottom