Turken Naken Necks (EW!)

All of the Turken Naked Necks I've seen are ugly! Who else thinks this way? Why were they bred with no feathers on their necks? I think I heard because their easier to pluck that way... But just WHY? They are so ugly. If you care to object, please do so, but I feel like a lot of people will agree with me on this one. Even Showgirl chickens don't look good, contrary to their name.
They grow on you... haha! I started with them because of the novelty. I like weird. But found, since I'm am raising for meat, not just eggs, that they are ideal meat birds. Especially if you hand pluck as the NN gene blocks the growth of the guard hairs that can be a real pain to get rid of. In addition, it's not just the neck that featherless, but other parts of the body, chest, inside of the thighs, and vent area. You just can't tell because the feathers they do have fluff out and cover those areas. Also, where I live in eastern Arizona (high desert) we get real extremes in temps just between day and night, like freezing at night and nearly summers temps in the day, and they handle the polarized climate very well. They've turned into a very practical option for me.

I used to not like the look's of the Naked Neck's, but once I tried them out because of the desert heat that we get, I found out that they have nice personalities too. It also helped that the rooster was non human aggressive. Now, I would not have a flock that didn't have Naked Neck's in it.

@JaeG I have a hatch of them that's due this Friday, and if I could I would share some of my egg's with you. They are from my Naked Neck hen's that lay the best egg's. Too bad you don't live near me.
Too bad. That would’ve been really nice of you.

leag.PNG

Fancy Nancy.

Did you take them out dry of incubator. Be careful I took one out and he struggled and died the next morning because I rushed to get him out since he was the last one.

Back
Top Bottom