Turkey breeding

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by copper2, Sep 23, 2015.

1. copper2

copper2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2015
    Eating a burger
    If you cross the sweetgrass tom with the royal palm hen, and than cross the crosses, it will produce: tom: sweetgrass: hens: royal palm, sweetgrass. Just a extra year and not all the hens will be royal palms, but you could sell the ones that look like royal palms, and you could be sure there hens( can't say that on the sweetgrass toms tho, since some of the hens will be sweetgrass.

2. Lozuufy

Lozuufy Pigeons are nutty

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    Oh yeah, that's a good idea, guess maybe I'll try that. The only problem is that in my family no one else likes turkeys so it's amazing I even can have a few of them, will have to slowly build up how many I have so it's less noticeable.

3. copper2

May 5, 2015
    Eating a burger
    They will begin to like turkeys, I wasn't sure of guinea fowl at first, now there one of my favorite birds( they looked so ugly!)

4. Lozuufy

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    I hope they will, and yeah guineas look a little strange although I used to have some and I thought they were kinda cute. Nobody else did though. [​IMG]

5. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    A Narragansett tom crossed with a Bourbon Red hen produces Golden Narragansett hens and Red Bronze toms.

6. copper2

May 5, 2015
    Eating a burger
    Good idea, if you cross the offspring it will produce bourbon buff( sounds kinda interesting) bourbon red, Narragansett, and several other colors!

7. copper2

May 5, 2015
    Eating a burger
    Bourbon buff is stable

8. Lozuufy

May 20, 2012
    MA/VT
    I like the Narragansett/Bourbon red cross, I am gonna try to get a blue sweetgrass because although not sex-linked they are very pretty. I think to get it I will cross a self blue tom with a sweetgrass hen, then breed their son (tri-color mottled slate split blackwinged bronze -Bb1 Ccg Dd) to a sweetgrass hen and then 1/8 of the babies should be blue sweetgrass, 1/8 should also be tri color mottled black which I also like. Saw a pic of a blue sweetgrass under "various color combos" on porters website. Genotype is b1b1 cgcg Dd

Oh and then blue sweetgrass male and royal palm female will get sweetgrass and blue sweetgrass with males of both split to narragansett. Then breed the blue sweetgrass son to a royal palm hen and some of the babies will be blue palm! Then you can also get lavender sweetgrass by crossing blue sweetgrass to blue sweetgrass... lol, I could spend all day on that calculator! [​IMG]

9. copper2

May 5, 2015
    Eating a burger
    That is a lot of crosses! I like that calculator too, I wonder if I can cross a bronze with a sex-linked?

10. copper2

May 5, 2015
    Eating a burger
    I do not think you can breed a turkey that you can tell if it's male/ female. But I think you could make a crossbreed that when crossed together produces only a few colors making( including the parents color) making it possible to tell tom or hen on some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by