Turkey Egg Candling Question

EEBLACKCOPPERMARAN

Songster
8 Years
Oct 11, 2011
I have some turkey eggs that I am hatching and I just candled the eggs. I dont see any veins at day 7, Are veins visible at day 7 or is it best to candle at day 10? Thanks!

Last edited:

trunkman

Songster
10 Years
Dec 26, 2009
Rock Hill SC
I candled my eggs somewhere around 10 to 12 days and could already see which ones were growing and which ones were never fertilized. At that point I could see a dark form in a fertile egg and the infertile one was clear. As a matter of fact I just candled about 15 minutes ago and cracked open one that was clear and all I had is yolk and egg white so candling is a very accurate way to check if your eggs are going to produce or not.
smile.png

trunkman

Songster
10 Years
Dec 26, 2009
Rock Hill SC
kuntry girl, it is very easy. Get into a dark room, get a led flashlight, turn it on and put it up against the backside of the egg from you and you will either see a dark form in the egg or it will be clear, it's that simple... try it next time you incubate, you'll be able to see their progress.. :)

kuntrygirl

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Opelousas, Louisiana
kuntry girl, it is very easy. Get into a dark room, get a led flashlight, turn it on and put it up against the backside of the egg from you and you will either see a dark form in the egg or it will be clear, it's that simple... try it next time you incubate, you'll be able to see their progress.. :)

Let me say that another way about the candling of turkey eggs.....I tried to candle but couldn't see anything because of the dark shells, so I don't candle anymore. My hatch rate is excellent with the turkey eggs. However, I candle my goose eggs with no problem because the shells are white. Guinea eggs are hard for me to candle as well. So, I quit candling those as well. :/

trunkman

Songster
10 Years
Dec 26, 2009
Rock Hill SC
Congrats EE! This is my first time hatching turkey eggs, can't wait to see what my hatch rate will be. When I candle now all I see is the air pocket, the rest of the egg is all mass. I had 17 eggs and 4 of them turned out to non fertile, the other 13 are doing great.
smile.png

Top Bottom