Turkey gender by wing type?

GabbieSue

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2022
67D2B503-2A75-4A29-AFFE-7DF39CEE2E98.jpeg

We have three new turkey chicks and I am wondering if the different wings at six days old may be an indication of gender. We have noticed that two of them have linger wing feathers that stick out like the little guy trying to escape the brooder in the front of this pic. Our older turkey chick never had that and one of the new chicks didn’t have that either. Second pic for attention 😁 I have searched for a previous topic but haven’t found anything. I did see a reference to someone above to determine gender based on holding them upside down or something but can’t find the info. The link just goes to a 2014 discussion but I couldn’t find the info. Thanks, y’all! I’m obviously a newbie. 😁

Attachments

• C8968AA3-C593-4E68-BBFF-8CDFC6018444.jpeg
    C8968AA3-C593-4E68-BBFF-8CDFC6018444.jpeg
    314 KB · Views: 6
Wing size doesn't work on turkey the same way it does on chickens. Wait till they are older (6 weeks or so) And it will be more obvious. On a side note if they full on strut at this age then the are almost certainly male.

If you want to see if the strut then wait till they are about two weeks old an put another bird in with them, not one that is so big it scares them. They ones that go up to it and start flogging it are probably male. Also females will probably be smaller. But in the end female turkeys can be very masculine, you will just have to wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom