Turkey mating by himself & turkeys vs chickens

Chickem707

Songster
Jul 11, 2018
So very odd question, but turns out one of my two female turkeys is actually a male. He’s just started gobbling & puffing out his feathers today. Earlier I caught him essentially mating the air, just stood by himself doing the whole business. Anyone elses do this? Also, what’re peoples experiences with keeping a turkey male with a rooster chicken? So far they’ve all been ok because I thought the turkeys were girls, but I don’t know what to expect now. Thanks

My males didnthis occasionally, even with other females around, and my current BBW does it all the time without any females.

They all got along with roosters, but my roosters were all sweethearts amdndidmt cause problems often. If the roosters started tobattack, the turkey would start attacking back

My males didnthis occasionally, even with other females around, and my current BBW does it all the time without any females.

They all got along with roosters, but my roosters were all sweethearts amdndidmt cause problems often. If the roosters started tobattack, the turkey would start attacking back
Ok great, thank you for this.

So very odd question, but turns out one of my two female turkeys is actually a male. He’s just started gobbling & puffing out his feathers today. Earlier I caught him essentially mating the air, just stood by himself doing the whole business. Anyone else's do this? Also, what’re peoples experiences with keeping a turkey male with a rooster chicken? So far they’ve all been ok because I thought the turkeys were girls, but I don’t know what to expect now. Thanks
It is normal. It is called masturbation.

If you have just a single tom with a lone rooster, eventually the tom will probably kill the rooster unless it is a big enough area with hiding places and obstacles that will allow the rooster to escape.

Last edited:
It is normal. It is called masturbation.

I f you have just a single tom with a lone rooster, eventually the tom will probably kill the rooster unless it is a big enough area with hiding places and obstacles that will allow the rooster to escape.
Okay, so maybe I don’t want a Tom! I have two roosters, a bunch of hens, one drake and four ducks. Shoot fire! I don’t need a big, brute roaming my yard.

Back
Top Bottom