Turkey mating by himself & turkeys vs chickens

Chickem707

Songster
Jul 11, 2018
So very odd question, but turns out one of my two female turkeys is actually a male. He’s just started gobbling & puffing out his feathers today. Earlier I caught him essentially mating the air, just stood by himself doing the whole business. Anyone elses do this? Also, what’re peoples experiences with keeping a turkey male with a rooster chicken? So far they’ve all been ok because I thought the turkeys were girls, but I don’t know what to expect now. Thanks

For real?!? I like that! But hens don’t have the strangely weird snoods that intrigue me. :lau
This?
full

So very odd question, but turns out one of my two female turkeys is actually a male. He’s just started gobbling & puffing out his feathers today. Earlier I caught him essentially mating the air, just stood by himself doing the whole business. Anyone else's do this? Also, what’re peoples experiences with keeping a turkey male with a rooster chicken? So far they’ve all been ok because I thought the turkeys were girls, but I don’t know what to expect now. Thanks
It is normal. It is called masturbation.

If you have just a single tom with a lone rooster, eventually the tom will probably kill the rooster unless it is a big enough area with hiding places and obstacles that will allow the rooster to escape.

Last edited:
That is a hen????? Without the few distinguishing characteristics (like the snood, beard, gobble and strut) between Tom and hen, I wouldn’t know how to determine the male from the female. But I know very little about turkeys. I’ll learn! And thanks for helping me.
No, that is a tom with the snood that intrigues you.

It is normal. It is called masturbation.

I f you have just a single tom with a lone rooster, eventually the tom will probably kill the rooster unless it is a big enough area with hiding places and obstacles that will allow the rooster to escape.
Okay, so maybe I don’t want a Tom! I have two roosters, a bunch of hens, one drake and four ducks. Shoot fire! I don’t need a big, brute roaming my yard.

Back
Top Bottom