Turkey Poult sinuses puffing out when breathing

SheenaBee

Chirping
Jan 12, 2018
Lots of chickens here but this is my first batch of turkeys, so it’s a bit of a learning curve . Out of the 5 four week old poults I’ve recently acquired only one breathes like this. It’s little chin and sinus areas move with each breath. Eating and drinking well, doesn’t appear otherwise ill. Makes a bit of a ‘sniffing’ noise, but one other Poult makes a similar noise without the facial movements. I don’t assume this is normal... is it? No obviously plugged nares, but they look a little smaller than the other poults
**Since I cant post a video, the two pics are the differences between inhalation/exhalation.
0D28D125-0007-4748-ABA2-2092B366B77E.jpeg
1EFD540D-A15A-4D98-B846-67B6E7DC52F0.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5599.JPG
    IMG_5599.JPG
    672.6 KB · Views: 5
I have one hen that breathes like that. I can see her facial tissue contract and expand as she breathes. She's otherwise completely normal. As with humans, sometimes genetics cause slight deviations from the norm that cause no real problems.

Continue to monitor this little turkey for possible difficulties in breathing. Watch for signs of swelling around the eyes, discharge or bubbling, lack of appetite, a slowing of development, and lethargy. If you notice these symptoms, you might suspect a respiratory infection.

Back
Top Bottom