Turkey sexing?

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
How do I sex young turkeys? The shelter I’m volunteering at has a turkey chick, it looks like a heritage turkey but we can only get it if it’s female for eggs, how can I tell the gender? Sadly I do not have any pictures

If you're willing to pay $14 or so without it being an important expense you can always order a DNA feather sexing or blood sexing kit from https://iqbirdtesting.com/ and send off a sample to them. I did feather sexing on my older poults by plucking feathers close to the vent (was easy, they didn't mind it too much and I prefer it to quicking the toenail) and sent them in. Super easy process. I keep my turkeys as pets though and get attached easily, so it's important for me to know their sex from a very young age so I can rehome prior to intense attachment lol. I am of course an odd one out.

Otherwise you can pretty easily sex them at around 3 to 4 months of age if you are able to provide front, back, top and side pictures we can possibly help!
All true except for late developing toms that can take 6 months before showing their true nature.

I am having a hard time telling the sex of my turkeys. One I am sure is a boy, but the other one, I go back and forth.
There's a pretty easy tell for the sex at this age.
You only have to take a look at the chest feathers.
Males do have black edges, while females have white edges.
This is one of the more obvious dimorphism in turkeys.

1630750136090.png

This works for most varieties.

If you're willing to pay $14 or so without it being an important expense you can always order a DNA feather sexing or blood sexing kit from https://iqbirdtesting.com/ and send off a sample to them. I did feather sexing on my older poults by plucking feathers close to the vent (was easy, they didn't mind it too much and I prefer it to quicking the toenail) and sent them in. Super easy process. I keep my turkeys as pets though and get attached easily, so it's important for me to know their sex from a very young age so I can rehome prior to intense attachment lol. I am of course an odd one out.

Otherwise you can pretty easily sex them at around 3 to 4 months of age if you are able to provide front, back, top and side pictures we can possibly help!

Back
Top Bottom