Turkey with swelling all over=head, neck, breast....

Pics

Gwenieloveschickies

In the Brooder
May 13, 2020
Missouri
Hi! I'm new to owning turkeys as they were given to us in December. We have 2 extremely friendly female turkeys, Millie and Tillie. 4 weeks ago, Milley, was injured with a hurt leg and wing. She was unable to bear weight on the leg, so 3-4 times a day, I would carry her out of the chicken coop, to shade with food and water directly in front of her. etc. I did a little rehab with her, helping her bear weight on the bad leg and learning to balance again as she also came to us with two bad, bent toes. Fast forward to now, she is able to bear weight, stand, and walk around 5-6 feet slowly. She has been mending well and eating/drinking fine until Friday night when my husband and I went to put up the chickens, we noticed she is extremely swollen. It came on fast, as I was out in the afternoon. She has swelling on top of her head, rising about 1/2 inch high, a swollen neck, and when I went to pick her up, her breast is swollen as well. She feels like a balloon on her breast. She is still making subtle vocalizations. She has no snot, no coughing, no wheezing. We have isolated her where she is safe, away from the flock, but she is able to see the flock pass by the barn. We have cleaned the coop. Any advice would be appreciated as I am new to owning these sweet birds.

Yes, here is her head and neck.

Attachments

• A9E1A6B3-C0EA-45B0-85B8-D7753961167B.jpeg
    A9E1A6B3-C0EA-45B0-85B8-D7753961167B.jpeg
    266.7 KB · Views: 30
Ok, thanks! I thought that as well, but would her entire body swell? I have some oregano essential oil on hand that I'm going to put on some bread and place some apple cider vineager with the mother in it, in her water. I also have some cephalexin on hand, 250 mg., but will wait until I hear otherwise. I just don't want to overdo it. Honestly, I'm just going off what I've read, I have no experience with this at all. I called my local vet and he doesn't know what to give her and cannot get us in until next week. I would rather try to help her now with what I have, if it's appropriate.

Ok, thanks! I thought that as well, but would her entire body swell? I have some oregano essential oil on hand that I'm going to put on some bread and place some apple cider vineager with the mother in it, in her water. I also have some cephalexin on hand, 250 mg., but will wait until I hear otherwise. I just don't want to overdo it. Honestly, I'm just going off what I've read, I have no experience with this at all. I called my local vet and he doesn't know what to give her and cannot get us in until next week. I would rather try to help her now with what I have, if it's appropriate.
It could be a reaction to a sting of some sort I would wait to see if the swelling goes down.

Back
Top Bottom