Turkeys Outdoors at -30?

Cimmaron

Songster
5 Years
Jul 19, 2018
Montana
Does anyone know how much cold turkeys can handle?

Mine sleep outdoors. They have a three sided shelter, but rarely use it. I have tried catching them in bad weather to put them in the shelter, but they just go right back out and sleep in the open. They are usually fine, but this weekend is potentially going to reach -30 here. I'm worried about finding a pile of frozen turkeys in the morning :)

Does anyone know how much cold turkeys can handle?

Mine sleep outdoors. They have a three sided shelter, but rarely use it. I have tried catching them in bad weather to put them in the shelter, but they just go right back out and sleep in the open. They are usually fine, but this weekend is potentially going to reach -30 here. I'm worried about finding a pile of frozen turkeys in the morning :)
Don't worry if you have proper sized roosts in an area sheltered from the wind.

My turkeys did fine last year when it was -40°F. Their roosts are 4" diameter corral poles that are sheltered from the prevailing wind. Normal winters here get to -30°F. Last year wasn't normal. Mine sleep on their outdoor roosts all year no matter what the weather is.

Why turkeys don't get frostbite.
20231209_163216.jpg

My turkeys did fine last year when it was -40°F. Their roosts are 4" diameter corral poles that are sheltered from the prevailing wind. Normal winters here get to -30°F. Last year wasn't normal. Mine sleep on their outdoor roosts all year no matter what the weather is.
X2

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom