Turning the stinky dirt in the run.

Hey Potato Chip! Im still learning here so not sure if adding a Quote is better or not? Im currently not having any issues and just sort of figuring out the best way to do things so any and all advice is great! If we mow today and let the clippings dry in the sun for a few days and THEN put the in the run? The girls aren't in the actual run much, since the wander around most if the day.

I've no idea what your climate is like, and I don't have lawn, so I can't give you any specific advice. In general, composting in the run is like composting outside it. You need a mix of material and you need air. Grass clippings can go slimy if you pile them up, so it really depends on how much you've got, how big your run is, what the weather's like, etc. It's probably best just to "suck it and see". Chuck them in, and if things go a bit slimy, add some garden lime, bark chips or something else then.

I haven't added anything since the run hadn't needed it yet. I was just practicing searching the BYC site and this thread popped up :). Getting great ideas though! And I have a bag full of lime if needed

It's summer up there, isn't it? You should be right. I'm sitting here in winter and it's been rainy, but if it's dry, it shouldn't go slimy or horrible on you. I'd just spread it and rake it in a bit.

There are different types of lime, you need to get the right stuff. Just garden lime, dolomite. NOT ordinary lime.
http://www.walterreeves.com/landscaping/lime-different-kinds/
There's a thread on the forum about using lime in the chook run which explains the difference.

EDIT: Found it https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-it-safe-to-use-lime-in-the-chicken-coop.47639/
Ok - I'm doing a lot of learning here :). Is there a way to save articles oN BYC site for easier reference?

Ok - I'm doing a lot of learning here :). Is there a way to save articles oN BYC site for easier reference?
You can bookmark them in your browser, otherwise I usually find things again by searching either within the forum, or from an external search engine.

Back
Top Bottom