Turns out Mama is actually a Daddy...

wberry85

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 21, 2011
Somewhere
We have what I thought was just a pretty hen named Mama, and I believe she is actually a rooster. I dont know a lot about owning roosters, but I do see a lot of people wanting to get rid of them. he has started getting pretty rough with my hens, jumping on their back and pecking them and stuff.

I dont want any baby chickens, just eggs, but do they serve any other purpose that is worth keeping him for? They are free range so protection might be a bonus. Pretty much my girlfriend wants to keep him and if I can find a good reason to I will, but if not he is going to go.

Reasons to keep a roo:

1. Protecting the girls.
2. Crowing (maybe a plus, maybe not, depending on how you feel).
3. Roosters' antics are fun to watch.
4. Roos are so much prettier than the girls!

I love my roos!

Quote:
To add to that, roosters are the ones watching the skies while the hens eat. A good roo will also show his hens where all the best goodies to eat are. Also, as a peacekeeper when the hens start fussing.

Last edited:
Quote:
These are why I decided I wanted a roo. When we picked out our BCM chickies, I saw their sire and he was so big and handsome I told the breeder I actually wanted a roo chick.

Can't wait till he grows up!

I bought a bunch of chicks (28) and the shop said that they were 95% hens. I owed some to my neighbor as my dog had killed her chickens. When they got big enough I gave her 11 of them. After a few weeks she said one of the ones I gave them was a roo. So I swapped him for one of my hens. I just kept him. He grew up with the others and became their rooster. I liked having him. He'd crow in the morning (and other times too). I sell my excess eggs to a restaurant in town and they would advertise that they were fertile. I even bought an egg hatcher and have gotten some chicks from it. One night I heard some terrible squawking from the coop and I went out to investigate and found my rooster mortally wounded having fought off the raccoon that had gotten into the coop. One hen was injured but recovered. The rooster died of his injuries. Since my experience I have gotten another rooster who is growing up to be the cock of the walk. (The alpha hen has explained to him why he isn't yet.) I think having a rooster only makes sense.

Quote:
No other reason needed!
lol.png

Do you have enough hens for him? At least 10 would be great. Also, young roosters are pretty awkward and out of control- they do tend to grow out of that stage.

Quote:
gig.gif

I have a young cockerel that's being taught the same thing right now. He's the younger of two roos. Can't stay with the flock he hatchced in, they already have a roo, so he's trying his luck with my older hens. They are not amused.
lol.png

Quote:
To add to that, roosters are the ones watching the skies while the hens eat. A good roo will also show his hens where all the best goodies to eat are. Also, as a peacekeeper when the hens start fussing.

All of the above reasons are why I have three on the ground. Yes, they fuss at each other once in a while, and they crow but I live in the country. I kind of think they pay for their feed by what they do.

Ok so should I just keep him then? He will have 7 hens.

He jumps on the hens back and bites their neck and pulls on it and they just sit there and scream.

Will this change anything as far as the eggs go? I dont want any baby chicks. Will I have to worry about my eggs being fertilized etc? I give a lot of eggs away and I dont want to give anyone an egg that isnt edible...

Also if I keep him do I need to build him a separate house? Last night he wouldnt let one of the hens come up in the coop.

Last edited:
Quote:
I would keep him. Rooster do what Roosters do. Yep, the hen is going to make noise but the neck pulling thing is just a part of the process.

There is nothing wrong with eating fertile eggs. Besides, unless you have a egg microscope it is hard to tell if they are fertile or not. Some say they can tell but in 20 some odd years I still cannot. You will get some that are and some that are not......but they ALL make for good eating.

As far as the coop thing goes I would give it some time and let them sort it out. They usually do. It is a dominate thing and he and or she will get over it.

Good luck

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom