Twins?

Kdobbs

Hatching
Aug 23, 2023
This is a 10ish egg. It’s larger than the others and the air sac is larger as well I noted that early in incubation. Since day 5 I noticed it looked different when candling and day 7 I started thinking maybe twins. What’s your opinion and advice? I know it’s low chance of success but being new at incubating (I’ve started for my father in law because his chickens are broody but the chicks seem to disappear and we thought we’d try hatching some separately and growing them a bit to see if we can raise the numbers) but I am a hopeful person. I have a vid but I’m not sure how to post it here.

Attachments

• E20082D4-99B2-4A88-A408-A22EC6E8A0E2.jpeg
    E20082D4-99B2-4A88-A408-A22EC6E8A0E2.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
This is a 10ish egg. It’s larger than the others and the air sac is larger as well I noted that early in incubation. Since day 5 I noticed it looked different when candling and day 7 I started thinking maybe twins. What’s your opinion and advice? I know it’s low chance of success but being new at incubating (I’ve started for my father in law because his chickens are broody but the chicks seem to disappear and we thought we’d try hatching some separately and growing them a bit to see if we can raise the numbers) but I am a hopeful person. I have a vid but I’m not sure how to post it here.
I don’t know if it’s twins but it looks cool. Please keep us updated. To post a video you have to post it to YouTube or some other platform then post the link here.

I don’t know if it’s twins but it looks cool. Please keep us updated. To post a video you have to post it to YouTube or some other platform then post the link here.
I sure will. I’m researching everything I can for anything to help give them their best chance.

I tried twins and got them to hatch but lost them during hatching as you have to watch very close every few hours I missed the bruising while sleeping.
You can check my post about it and see if it looks like yours
At day 10 you should see 4 circles
Each baby has 2
One is the head and other is the butt

I tried twins and got them to hatch but lost them during hatching as you have to watch very close every few hours I missed the bruising while sleeping.
Each baby has 2
I looked at your post and I did notice early that the air cell is larger in this egg. Also baby A seems larger than baby B if in fact there’s 2.

Each baby has 2
I know about pipping but is that different from bruising? It’s only my second batch of eggs. Still learning.

I know about pipping but is that different from bruising? It’s only my second batch of eggs. Still learning.
It’s when they don’t make the air cell and try to external pip instead but can’t break the shell. At that time you immediately make a tiny pin hole in the middle of the bruise then wait 48-72 hours
With twins they often can’t turn to make air cell
If the lower one does the higher up one will try to pip out at the pointy end and may bruise the egg
Just keep an eye on it
Also they may hatch early as they run out of room to grow
Watch the egg not the days and if you see shadowing along the air cell and air cells drops forward fast and egg starts rocking then start lockdown with that egg.

Back
Top Bottom