Two 8 week olds... boy or girls?

rickerra

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 26, 2011
Spokane, WA
Hi Gang,
I was hoping someone with a more experienced eye could tell me if these 2 chickens were boys or girls.

They are 8 weeks old and I believe they both are of the Ameraucana(EE?) family.
They both started recently getting redish combs in the last week and a half... different from the others.

#1.
TR1.jpg

TR2.jpg

Brownie2.jpg

Brownie1.jpg

Thank you for the help!

I'm going to throw a wild guess out there and say 1 is a pullet and 2 is a roo. I am basing my guess on the 2nd's comb is wider and the "rows" more defined. He also has pointy hackle feathers (did I get the right set of feathers this time?). The 1st one doesn't have the same defined comb rows and I can't see the hackles - her wing is in the way.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!

I too thought "Brownie" (#2 above) was a boy. He has the thick legs, his comb got red and he sorta acts like I would imagine a #2 roo. (I have a dominant #1 Barred Rock rooster... no mistaking... big comb and wattles)

It was #1 that I was worried about. My boy named her "Top Ramen" and it is his absolute favorite chicken. So when her comb got red, I started to wonder/worry.

I'll have to post up more picks in a couple weeks for confirmation.

thumbsup.gif

I am thinking 2 pullets....neither have very pronounced combs and neither have any indication of wattles....I think both would be more prominent by this age if they were roosters. I am not an expert, I am just anxious to know what all of mine will be as well....and I have read EVERYTHING I can get my hands on regarding the topic! Good luck! They are going to be pretty birds regardless!!!

Back
Top Bottom