Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mrbryce

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 1, 2013
Paris, France
Hello,

these are my first chickens, they look like those featured in the guidelines thread X)

i bought them last week from a pet shop, still i am wondering about gender and breed ?

yellow one is 45g black one is 55g
they ve just started plucking down feathers i m guessing they re in their second week ?

more pictures coming.

also wondering if something's wrong with them :/
their head is diving when they sleep and and everytime i hear crackling sounds from the beak or nostrils. occasionally they have bubbles in the nostrils. then i encourage them to drink. the black one was drooling the other day. it has some slight yellow dirt on one side of the beak and nostril. the vet said it was fine cos she s very energetic and eating well ?

what do you think ?

Last edited:
Could you get some pics of their heads a little closer and their backs? You might try giving them some antibiotics if you are truly worried. My little chicks did the head bobbing and runny noses, I did not give them anything and they got over it. Good luck and
welcome-byc.gif

I agree that better photos are needed for breed identity.

More importantly, runny noses and cackling sounds is not normal in chicks. Neither is pasty stuff on the nostrils. They are sick. There are a lot of diseases it could be from viral to bacterial. Some will pass in time, but others can be quite deadly. Antibiotics won't help if it is viral (other than helping with secondary infections).

I'm not sure what you mean by head bobbing as chicks bob their head down to sleep, and they sleep in little snatches...but if they are jerky in their head movement that is not normal either.

Until you figure it out, I would recommend putting them on a "chick saver" electrolyte/vitamin mixture you put in their water. That can help boost their immune system.

I would post on the Disease forum for help.

Also, you can find information about diseases here:
http://www.localharvest.org/blog/26992/entry/common_chicken_diseases_and_symptoms

and here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-injuries-diseases-how-to-diagnose-treat-your-chickens

HTH
Lady of McCamley

here are more pictures i took this morning.

thanks to you both,. i needed confirmation that i dont "have to" use antibiotics.

looks like the one in your hand Lady ^^

they are supposed to be of different breed ?

Last edited:
They look a bit like Japanese Bantam X some other breed....but its difficult to tell as they are so young.

From the photos they look very healthy......clear big eyes, nice clean feathers, look alert and lively!!

But bubbles from their nostrils and raspy breathing sounds is not good.

They may have a respiratory illness.

Make sure you keep them warm, dry and free from dust.

If they are still lively, eating and growing don't worry too much.. they will probably get over it themselves.

But if they get sick looking, or start breathing with their beaks open, or any other symptoms you should take them to the vet for antibiotics.

For now, adding some bird vitamins to the drinking water, and make sure they have the proper food.

The light one looks Japanese Bantam, The dark one looks maybe Black Cochin x Japanese Bantam, Looks like Hens to me but I am new at this so dont take that to the bank. You definitely do not need to use Antibiotics in all cases, Like the one after me said, Electrolytes in the water and some good feed should see them thru it unless they get really bad sick. Then that choice is yours to make.

Back
Top Bottom