Votes: 0 0.0%
  • both female

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • yellow male black female

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • black male yellow female

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I am saying both hens, and Japanese for the light one and cochin cross for the dark one....Im probably wrong
gig.gif

I raise laying hens, so I am not overly familiar with the Bantam breeds or ornamentals, but I do know your 2nd one, the smaller golden one, is definitely NOT a Gold Laced Wyandotte. I've had those (great layers btw), and yours does not look anything like the ones I've had as a chick.

It might be an Easter Egger like the one in my hand in my Avatar, or an Easter Egger bantam, but it doesn't have greenish/slate colored legs nor any muff or beard. However, Easter Eggers are mutts with Ameraucana blood from one side or the other, so they can also have yellow legs or I suppose beige; and some do not have any muffs or beards.

Wing pattern is beautiful already, and very unique which appears to inexperienced me like a game bird or bantam type.

As the developing chicks can vary so much as they develop until they fully feather out to their breed, I often have an easier time going from what the day old chick looks like (as that is breed specific) then watching for patterns until they fully feather in and you can really see what they've become. Here are a couple of sites that help with that
caf.gif

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/default.html Cackle Hatchery has some really nice videos so you can see the day old chicks in action

This is a good chart for a number of breeds of young chicks (before they feather in): https://www.esteshatchery.com/baby-chick-pictures.html

One more thought on health. I agree watch out for dust. If they are generally healthy with only very mild respiratory symptoms, look for an environmental element. I presume you do NOT have them on cedar chips as that is very unhealthy for birds. Some raisers don't like pine shavings, and if you use them, you should have plenty of ventilation. (I've raised lots of chicks on pine shavings and have had no problems, but they are outdoors in coops so have plenty of ventilation).

If all you get is "sniffles" with rasping sound it could be Infectious Bronchitis (which my flock just had) or Newcastles disease comes to mind...I think with Newcastle they have bubbles in the nose?? If you see more jerky movements, then it could be dreaded Mareks or something else that has hit the nervous system. But lack of sufficient vitamins can also cause jerky movements. If you have them on medicated chick starter, the medication inhibits vitamin B to starve the coccidia bacteria, and I have had problems with chicks getting deficient in Vitamin B with medicated feed...so I think it is always a good idea to supplement with the chick vitamin/electrolyte for a time as chicks, especially after any stresses such as moving to a new home.

My thoughts...for what they are worth.
Have fun with your new feathered friends....WARNING...chickens can become addicting (having started with ONLY 4 and now at 21!)

Lady of McCamley

thank you lady for all the links.

i just found out the black one has a large air sac on the neck, its one sided and swollen --;

it cannot be more than 3 days old. i ve only just noticed it because its starting to show transparent skin

can bronchitis lead to air sacs ?

from what i read it fits to either Mycoplasma gallisepticum or Infectious Laryngotracheitis

i ll call another vet tomorrow. having a hard time refraining myself from bursting the sac out lol. that chick must be saved !!
he.gif

Last edited:
thank you lady for all the links.

i just found out the black one has a large air sac on the neck, its one sided and swollen --;

it cannot be more than 3 days old. i ve only just noticed it because its starting to show transparent skin

can bronchitis lead to air sacs ?

from what i read it fits to either Mycoplasma gallisepticum or Infectious Laryngotracheitis

i ll call another vet tomorrow. having a hard time refraining myself from bursting the sac out lol. that chick must be saved !!
he.gif
I'd have to look at the symptom chart too as I've not experienced either one of those diseases personally thus far (thank the Good Lord). If the bird is not experiencing difficulty in breathing, I would not rush to burst it until I figure out what I was dealing with first.

Keep it calm; away from the other bird so the other bird doesn't pick at it; and keep giving it fluids with the vitamin/electrolyte and food for it to eat.

Another useful site that also gives good photos of what the diseases look like in actual affected birds:
http://www.poultryclub.org/poultry/health-and-diseases/

According to this site (http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/t0756e/t0756e08.htm ) Infectious Bronchitis can lead to swollen air sacs, (air sacculitis) and there is a cervical air sac. I'm not familiar enough with chicken anatomy to know exactly where that is other than the neck so I looked for one on the internet and posted below... if your bird had IB, it may well have a leaking air sac into the neck.

This website recommends simple wait and see and then careful lancing if there is indeed a subcutaneous emphysema...air sac leaking air into surrounding tissues);
http://www.yourchickens.co.uk/care-and-advice/breath_of_life_1_1367886 I've never done this, so I would ask someone experienced if you decide to go this route without vet guidance.

I would recommend posting on the BYC disease forum as there are a lot of very helpful and much more knowledgeable people than I.

Good Luck (Bonne Chance)
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lady of McCamley[/FONT]

wedel-2009-fig-4.jpg

oooooh very nice diagram i love it ^^ it is the cervical sac indeed.

so here s a quick update. the air sac comes and goes, it had deflated the next morning. it seems the sac will inflate whenever the chick is stressed out or excited, or when the temperature is not quite right.

the chicks are doing fine they now have doubled in weight.

the yellow one is starting to show blueish legs and reddish wattles, which i find weird considering he weights 20g less than his black friend who exhibits nothing yet.

so how about dutch yellow partridge ? i ll be posting more pictures soon with comb points and all.

cant be an easter egger if it has wattles, right ?

hehe ive been betting on it from the start.

its only starting to show though, depending on the lighting or when he has a drink :p

he s the insecure type :p

also, i just found out about Old English Game Bantams
wee.gif

thats definitely the one. chipmunk stripe, golden laced, yellow body as a chick.

what do you think ? :p

Last edited:

so, i ve been monitoring their weight daily,
black is now 142g yellow 122g, i m guessing 5th week for both

compared to his yellow friend, black one is 4 days early in weight, and 4 days late in attire :p

they both have single combs and i have yet to see any special feathering on the head (only regular down feathers)
they have 4 toes and no feathers on the legs,
however a lot of feathers have only just started to grow.
those on the neck were among the first and you can see in the last picture those surrounding the comb are the first head feathers.

is that significant ? could it be that you got it right on first try, shay ? :p
but the polish chicks already have a crest from the first days... i saw nothing of the sort :/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom