Two dead chickens in two days please help.

Not sure if this is new or not because we really don't pay all that much attention to the chicken's poop or their butts but I went out to check on them just a little bit ago and the remaining three are acting fine but I did notice that their poop seemed to smell a bit stronger and I saw a big poop stuck to one of the hens foot and she shook it off but it seemed a bit odd to me. It was rather large and brown greenish crumbly inside and almost foamy white on the outside. Maybe this is normal because I really don't pay that much attention normally. I also noticed that two of the three have white streaks from poop on their butts. It's not super messy I mean they don't clean themselves like cats I'm pretty sure so I figure some is normal but is this a sign of something?

I know that foamy poo often goes with sick chickens. I did a very quick search but can't find the disease it's usually associated with - however, I remember it's not good. I would still suggest you go with the Tylan as soon as you can. Good luck!

Keep in mind when you view this thread that not all of us know everything- but we are TRYING so hard to help others. I hope you can use some of this information:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4796506

I unfortunately don't have experience to help you. But maybe this thread will be helpful.

hugs.gif

Thanks so much everyone. Looking at the Poo page I actually think that the dropping I saw was normal probably a night dropping that got stuck to her foot or just an early morning big one it didn't look anything like the abnormal and kind of looked like a couple of the normal examples. Who knew I'd be studying poo so hard.

As to an update on the chickens. The Rock, and the Dominque are acting healthy and happy (and loud as usual) the remaining Red seems a little slow to me but she might be bummed about losing her buddy. They were all in pairs originally and these two hung out a lot. She's not hanging out in the coop like the other two did before dying so I'm hopeful. I found a vet who can check them out Monday so if they survive the weekend I'm getting them checked out. Also had an egg just a little bit ago. Keeping it although I don't know if there is any reason we shouldn't eat it. The two Wellsummer chicks in their cage are doing fine, I'm almost tempted to let them out with the other hens since they are with them so I doubt they have been saved from anything and maybe the company would help the lonely Red. I'd got a no pick spray to put on them now to keep them from being attacked by the hens.

I think my girls are wondering what happened to almost half their flock because they keep going from coop to run and back as if looking for the others.

I'm sorry I have so very many questions it's crazy. I have got to see if I can find someone in my area raising chickens because a lot of the stuff on the internet I read just confuses me more.

A note on eating eggs and birds.

If the chickens do have coccidiois (don't think I spelled that right) and we decide we need to cull the flock. I was reading that it can be treated but not cured and that the chickens will always be carriers so we'd probably cull and start all over if they turn out positive for it. If we do cull our remaining chickens can we eat them if it is coccidiois?

Also eggs. Since right now we don't know what is wrong is there any reason we should not be eating the eggs? I figure I won't do anything semi-raw like over easy or sunny side up but scrambled seems safe to me but I really don't know.

Thanks again. I hope someday to repay all this help by helping others but right now I read other people's problems and haven't got a clue how to help.

Coccidia are in the soil- everywhere. All chickens build up a resistance to it. Younger chickens sometimes get overloaded with it and it damages their intestines. Hence the need to treat so the chicken can heal, so it can get resistance.

Oh please don't cull for coccidiosis! It is so easily treatable with medication (but fast and deadly). Once they get their resistance then you are out of the woods.

As far as eating the eggs, I wouldn't eat them if you are giving medications unless there is no egg withdrawal period. If they aren't on meds, then I can say that you have to decide. I would eat them if it were me, but I'm not going to tell anyone to eat eggs.

Last edited:
Can't get any other antibiotics other than erythromycin and human version. Anyone know the dosing? And how long before we can eat the eggs? I've got a third chicken dying in the coop right now. Please if anyone is out there help.

Back
Top Bottom