Two drakes

You can keep ducks in pairs, 1 drake and 1 hen will do fine. So if you get rid of one drake you could keep a pair. A single drake will rarely over breed hens. For the past 2 years I had just 1 pair of Muscovy ducks and the drake would never over breed. For the past year I had 1 Pekin drake, 2 Rouen drakes and 2 Rouen hens and they did not over breed at all either. Right now I still have the 3 drakes and 2 hens and they have still not been over breed, but for Muscovies I have 2 drakes and 5 hens, none of them over breed either.

You can keep ducks in pairs, 1 drake and 1 hen will do fine. So if you get rid of one drake you could keep a pair. A single drake will rarely over breed hens. For the past 2 years I had just 1 pair of Muscovy ducks and the drake would never over breed. For the past year I had 1 Pekin drake, 2 Rouen drakes and 2 Rouen hens and they did not over breed at all either. Right now I still have the 3 drakes and 2 hens and they have still not been over breed, but for Muscovies I have 2 drakes and 5 hens, none of them over breed either.
Not sure about the others or the ages, but from what I have read muscovies usually are much different when it comes to breeding (not as aggressive).

If you want to get ride of the hen i will take her... My farm is in nj and everything is pretty chill here. My ducks free all day on many acres of grass.. Definitely would be more then welcome to visit anytime!!!

I know you don't want to get rid of her just throwing that out there.

Dont be offended ( seems like everyone is these days)

This is a really tough subject that doesn't have a real direct answer. I have a pair of call ducks that do perfectly fine together just the two of them. . no over breeding at all. Then I had 2 call drakes with 4 females and had to re home a drake due to over breeding .. Only to have the one I kept continue to beat up one girl in particular and ended up having to separate him for their safety. In that case it did not matter how many other girls there were he just decided to over breed the one. :th
He has not rejoined the flock yet because now I have babies out there.

Then I had one Rouen drake with two Cayugas. . no problems there.
I just think a lot has to do with age of the drake. . time of year. . and how much space they have to get away or hide from each other when they are getting jumped on too much. Ducks are a lot of trial and error it seems like every time you've got things under control something comes up you didn't expect :gig
I would get as many hens as you are comfortable having and go from there. You can always re home a drake later. . . or add more girls. ;)

Doesn't matter but getting colors close to your drakes might help them. Seems some drakes are particular about colors. lol at least3-4 ducks per drake the more the merrier.
I have noticed the girls that look the most different do seem to get beat up more.

Back
Top Bottom