Two drakes

Lleal90

Chirping
May 2, 2018
Rhode Island
Ok so I have three khaki Cambell ducklings that I have had since they were two weeks old. I am pretty sure judging by the bean on their beak, in combination with the white bean and quacks, that I have two drakes and one female duck. Now I love all of them and do not want to get rid of any. The boys don’t fight at all but I’m wondering what exactly should be the ratio. If I get one more female duck will it be ok? Do males just always fight?

:welcome
Ratios would be at least 3-4 females to 1 drake, but more is better. To keep your guys happy and the gals not stressed, you need at least 5-7 more females. Or...get rid of one of the drakes and add at least 2, but 3 females would be better.

I have one drake with 3 ladies and he does well. Some of the girls' feathers are getting tattered looking this spring from mating, but no bald patches or anything drastic. They don't run away from him either and squat for him. This makes me think he is not overbreeding them, but if I had fewer girls he might. I got him 2 more girls this summer, but feel that I wouldn't add a second drake into that mix even though mine is quite nice. Every drake is different.

If you aren't in it for the eggs I highly recommend rehoming your female and adopting another drake or two and attempting to keep a bachelor flock. So many drakes need homes. It's still possible they will fight come breeding season once mature though.

So they are around 8 weeks old. I was afraid of that because I was originally in it for the eggs but the person I got them from was unable to tell me the sex. The female I am sure is a female because when I would separate them to bring them in the house by carrying them she would be left outside and very distinctly quacking. I have a small one who ended up having a niacin deficiency who is a drake (puff) which I don’t want to get into but is doing much better now, we’ve bonded lol. I have a very large drake named pebbles. And then the female is Cocoa. I don’t want to get rid of any of them and they’re all very close and call for eachother when separated, but I don’t want twenty billion ducks lol.

C06004A0-8D5E-4744-BFBD-CD625755D65A.jpeg
C19B8297-CDEE-44E7-B874-69FF68A09BF5.jpeg

These are my two boys

So they are around 8 weeks old. I was afraid of that because I was originally in it for the eggs but the person I got them from was unable to tell me the sex. The female I am sure is a female because when I would separate them to bring them in the house by carrying them she would be left outside and very distinctly quacking. I have a small one who ended up having a niacin deficiency who is a drake (puff) which I don’t want to get into but is doing much better now, we’ve bonded lol. I have a very large drake named pebbles. And then the female is Cocoa. I don’t want to get rid of any of them and they’re all very close and call for eachother when separated, but I don’t want twenty billion ducks lol.
They get over separation quickly. Don't not have human emotions..Your going to need to come up with a plan about extra Drakes..

Back
Top Bottom