Two legged egg thief.

id go with the padlock and the salmonella sign as long as you dont need to worry if he tells anyone about it

One of those motion activated cameras would be cool. Let it snap some pics of him in the act. Send him one and see what happens.
thumbsup.gif

Pullet production is/can be up and down. Fall months mean molting, fewer daylight hours, cooler temps, all can affect egg production. Long story short, when dealing with just started pullets, 9 eggs one day- 2 eggs the next possible.

But like Kansas said more security ain't a bad thing. And no way would I put a booby trapped egg in the nest, I'd be the one that the trap caught.

I agree with using a padlock or something like that. It couldn't hurt to padlock it when you're not at home or when you're sleeping. That way, you know it's not a two legged thief but something else.

Last edited:
can you hear me now? :

Quote:
I agree, I like process of elimination the best I think.

Agreed.

Also could be rats or crows or snakes or whatever, besides them not laying. The egg snatchers sometimes stop by on a kindof "random" schedule which might explain the days. Who knows? We do know the padlock will help with the suspect elimination process.

I wouldn't rule out the neighbor until you lost eggs from a padlocked coop. People can be the worst sometimes.​

Yes they can. Our last neighbors had a thing with stealing gas out of our cars. We had a car on ramps almost all summer. When I pulled it onto the ramps I am positive I filled it up recently. We finally got the money to fix it and pulled it off the ramps with an almost empty tank. Our gas issues developed when they lost their jobs. They got reemployes and the gas things would go away. Lose jobs again and that car is empty. Knew it was them, just couldn't prove it. Am.so glad they moved.away. will get to keep our gas for awhile now I hope.

Nine eggs are a lot to get in one day. If you are not eating them all or selling them, why not be neighborly and offer him some? A few weeks ago my neighbor caught me stealing tomatoes from his garden. The vines were loaded with them and they were just rotting away there. Earlier in the year he had told me to help myself to any squash or zucchini I found, but I just could not resist the tomatoes seeing that they they were going to waste. Not only was he not angry, he helped me find the few good tomatoes that were left. Before I get condemned for stealing tomatoes, I had been giving him eggs from my chickens and I am certain he would have told me to help myself to the tomatoes had I asked. And no, this is not a trend and I would not have touched them if they had not all been either split open, mushy or had slugs crawling on them. Times are tough, if you have plenty, share. Nobody should have to steal food.

Back
Top Bottom