two level chicken run

Bald Bee Man

Songster
6 Years
Dec 30, 2017
Centerville Indiana
just wondering if anyone has ever done anything like this. I have a 10 x 10 or a hundred square foot Chicken Run. i am thinking about building a platform that is 3 feet off the ground and 5 by 10 ft. That would give me another 50 square feet in the Run if the chickens used the top of it.. I have a pallet type table out there now, but it's not solid on top. I'm really thinking about doing this more so for just the winter so I would give them a nice Snow free area to roam in. I've got a bunch of used rubber roofing that I could lay on top of the platforms for traction it would actually heat up with the Sun since it's Black. any thoughts?

I have done things similar to that. Chickens tend to stay on the bottom level however if they get crowded or bottom pecking order chicken needs some space to get away it helps. I had a 10 x 10 coop one time (still have it but its not a coop now) with a 5 x ten loft. Chickens roosted in the rafters and almost never spent time on that 2nd level unless it was a stepping stone to the rafter where they roosted.

They may or may not use it. Some of my chickens like to get on things in the run (I have a couple branches and small platforms) and some never do and stay on ground level. It won't turn a 100 sq ft run into 150 sq ft, but it will give them options and especially with snow, they'll probably really enjoy getting underneath where there's protection against snow.

It won't turn a 100 sq ft run into 150 sq ft, but it will give them options and especially with snow, they'll probably really enjoy getting underneath where there's protection against snow
This^^^...could provide some shade too.

Mine love to perch on stuff, have a bunch of roosts and other stuff to get up onto and underneath...but I wouldn't put that big a structure in the run. I have more stuff in there during the summer than winter and I rearrange it depending on if I have chicks in residence. Stay flexible.

Keep in mind that a 5x10 platform may impede your functions with/in the run.
They may decide to lay or go broody under there...you'll have to crawl under to retrieve eggs/birds. Tending to bedding under there might be an issue.

Is the run already covered with mesh or solid?
If run is open at top it will give them a jumping off place to get out.
If run is not solid topped it may impede your clearing snow out of run.

Back
Top Bottom