Two mystery chickens! (With pictures)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Liv's chickens, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Liv's chickens

Liv's chickens Chirping

Nov 6, 2017
    Hey everyone! About two moths ago I got some chicks, two Reproductive Reds, two California Whites, And two “Plymouth Rocks”. The funny this is that the two Plymouth rocks I got certainty aren’t Plymouth rocks! They are very different, even different from each other! One is pure black with bright gold/orange on her beast and around her neck, and has longer legs. And the other is almost all pure black, slightly meatier, and just slightly shorter then the other with very faint traces of orange on her chest. They gorgeous though, and I’m actually kind of pleased they aren’t Plymouth rocks because I love exotic breeds and also have two cuckoo Marans who would have looked very similar to the Plymouth rocks. I will attach pictures. They do look a tiny bit like black stars... Let me know what you think!

Attached Files:

KikiLeigh02 likes this.
  2. KikiLeigh02

KikiLeigh02 Free Ranging

May 11, 2018
    Western Kentucky
    To me they both look like Black Sex Links (Black Stars is one name for them), they just have a different amount of brown leakage. Very pretty!

Liv's chickens and puffypoo22 like this.
  3. Savanna’s chickens

Savanna’s chickens Chirping

May 20, 2018
    I’m not sure about the first one being a black swx link but definitely the second here’s a pic of my black sex link for comparison

Attached Files:

4. Savanna’s chickens

Savanna’s chickens Chirping

May 20, 2018
    And mine’s comb was about that big when she was younger (the second one)

Liv's chickens likes this.
  5. Littleshadow

Littleshadow Songster

Jul 5, 2017
    Imma go with black sex link too. They can have a little red leakage or alot of black leakage. Some even have no leakage, I've had a few hens in the past be completely black.

6. Liv's chickens

Liv's chickens Chirping

Nov 6, 2017
    Awesome! Yeah, I’ve seen a lot of different variations of the black sex links. Thanks! I bet tractor supply must have gotten their chicks mixed up or something

KikiLeigh02 likes this.
  7. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Crowing

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    I agree, black sex links... which means that they are probably half barred rock. Their father is probably something solid red, mom is barred.

8. Liv's chickens

Liv's chickens Chirping

Nov 6, 2017
    Interesting! I wouldn’t think a hatchery would do mixes but that makes sense! Thanks!

Frazzemrat1 and KikiLeigh02 like this.
  9. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Crowing

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    Oh, hatcheries will do those and the red sex link all the time, mostly because of the sex link. You can tell at hatch which ones are boys and which are girls. And they tend to be pretty big layers for the first couple of years.

KikiLeigh02 likes this.
  10. KikiLeigh02

KikiLeigh02 Free Ranging

May 11, 2018
    Western Kentucky
    Hatcheries LOVE their hybrids! That's why people at home can't replicate most of their hybrids, because technically they're crosses of hybrids they made.

Frazzemrat1 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: