Two not laying yet…

mldlm

Songster
Apr 3, 2022
Northeast Florida
I have one Speckled Sussex and one Black Australorp that are both approaching 27 weeks and have not laid the first egg. They are in with my four others (2 white leghorns and 2 blue Australorps) which are about 10 weeks ahead of them and are all laying. One of my blues seems to pick at the younger black quite a lot. Both of the younger ones coexist with the four older ones, but are always keeping their distance. Could the younger ones not be laying due to being skittish about the bigger ones? They both go look at the nesting boxes- sometimes even when they are occupied- but have not produced any yet. I guess what I am asking is, is this normal? Should they be laying by now? The two younger ones have even left their own roost in the coop to sleep on the main roost with the older girls. I call that progress, even though the speckled will get too full of herself and climb to the top roost a couple of times. The bigs did not waste any time putting her in her place. The speckled seems to have gotten the message and stays on the lower roost with her younger buddy. Very hard to watch sometimes…thanks for your input!

How many do you have total? How many nest boxes do you have?
It's been said 4pullets/hen to one nest box, although they all have the same favorite box. Days are getting shorter so that maybe an issue as well as the breed ... Patience ... Are their combs RED?

Sometimes when pullets approach laying age at the time the days are getting shorter they don't lay until the days start lengthening again. Your older and younger bird interactions sound normal.
Thank you. When I see the younger getting picked on when I am out there, I stop it. My husband says to let them work it out and not intervene…so hard to do….

How many do you have total? How many nest boxes do you have?
It's been said 4pullets/hen to one nest box, although they all have the same favorite box. Days are getting shorter so that maybe an issue as well as the breed ... Patience ... Are their combs RED?
I have six in total. 2 blue Australorps, 2 leghorns, one speckled Sussex, and one black australorp.There are three nesting boxes. The speckled has a red comb and wattle, the black australorp has a smaller comb and wattle, but it is red also. I will try to post pics tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom