Two roos out of 8 sexed? UPDATE make that 3/8? second opinion pls

metraideanne

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 15, 2010
Salt Lake City
I bought some chicks from a local farming store all supposed to be sexed female. I know I heard a practice crow this morning and I suspect I have two roos. I was also told I was purchasing 2 buff orpingtons and 4 ameraucanas. I think I got 4 easter eggers and I'm not sure what the other two are. I also got 2 sex links so they better be what they are suppose to be
smile.png

Here is "Ameraucana roo?"
Dot
60613_img_0551.jpg

60613_img_0550.jpg

The "orpingtons"
Red
60613_img_0560.jpg

Goldie
60613_img_0590.jpg

and the other "Ameraucanas"
Thing 1
60613_img_0563.jpg

Thing 2
60613_img_0587.jpg

Teddy
60613_img_0582.jpg

Thank you in advanced for your help.

UPDATE
Here is possible roo #3
60613_img_0855.jpg

Last edited:
Those are NOT Orpingtons, they are some kind of Reds. Probably Production Reds, or maybe hatchery RIR's.

The Easter Eggers look to be really mixed breed. That white rooster in the top pic has green legs but a single comb
tongue.png
The Red in the same pic is a rooster as well, I think it's the one you call Red.

The other EE's look like pullets so far, but they are hardest for me to sex.

I agree with the others.
I ended up with 2 of 6 being roos (1 easter egger, 1 speckled sussex). Good thing I got some sex-links because I am not having luck with the ladies!
tongue.png
Seems to be pretty common.

The last one "teddy" looks exactly like the ones I bought as Ameraucanas

50078_hildi1b.jpg

Last edited:
Feed/farm stores always have "ameracaunas" that come from hatcheries and are really easter eggers. Real ones come from breeders and cost a lot more than a few dollars.

Quote:
That's a buff...............

red sex links will be red with some white feathers in the mix.

I agree with the white one being a roo............ee mix with single comb???

Others are EE's but a couple have the slate legs and could lay blue eggs. Some ee's even though they are mixed breed true. Usually color and legs rule them out.

reds are poduction reds...not dark enough to be RIR. They are GREAT egg layers and i LOVE mine!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom