Tylan 50 injectable taken orally?

Respiratory diseases such as mycoplasma (MG or CRD,) coryza, and ILT can make chickens carriers for life (as well as all chickens exposed whether they get sick or not.) Infectious bronchitis can make chickens carriers for up to a year. Here is a really good link to read about the common respiratory diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Great now I'm more freaked out ,there is a lot of info on that site thank you but now what to do they say birds remain carrier's for life depending on what they have ,so there are Temporary vaccines ,so do people keep them ,are the eggs safe to eat or hatch ,pro's and con's any info?

I will be on again in the morning when I can post some links for you to read. In the meantime you may want to start out with what symptoms you are seeing, such as sneezing, coughing, any eye or nasal drainage, wheezing or gurgling, or swelling around an eye or the face. Also include age and where your chickens came from, or if any new birds have been added recently.

Don't freak out! Chickens are fragile and get sick all the time and you just have to plan for it.

My flock came down with Marek's last fall. I have a hen that is a carrier (don't know which one) and all of my babies died. Marek's lives in the soil for up to 7 years, so I'm stuck with it whether I like it or not!
th.gif

I think the most important thing to do for peace of mind is getting a diagnosis. You can contact a vet, or take a bird in for testing/necropsy at your state lab.

Best of luck to you and your flock!

Hi I have a Goldlaced Brahma about 7 months old. I dont know much about chickens. She has not started laying yet. My other two have been laying for about a month. Almost 2 Months ago,her right wing was lower than the other. She started to limp and couldn't keep up with the others. 2 weeks ago I took her to the vet. She is super thin but she has been eating. He gave me pain meds? No broken bones. She is very thin and weak and coughing now and then. No wheezing and no evidence of worms. I have been trying everything and reading everything. 4 days ago I got Tylan 50 injectable. Because she is soooo thin I gave it to her orally. 1 ml. I put electrolytes in her water and a vaporizer with Vetrx. She is eating well and standing better now. I heard she needs it for 5 days. Does anyone know what this might be?

Hi I have a Goldlaced Brahma about 7 months old. I dont know much about chickens. She has not started laying yet. My other two have been laying for about a month. Almost 2 Months ago,her right wing was lower than the other. She started to limp and couldn't keep up with the others. 2 weeks ago I took her to the vet. She is super thin but she has been eating. He gave me pain meds? No broken bones. She is very thin and weak and coughing now and then. No wheezing and no evidence of worms. I have been trying everything and reading everything. 4 days ago I got Tylan 50 injectable. Because she is soooo thin I gave it to her orally. 1 ml. I put electrolytes in her water and a vaporizer with Vetrx. She is eating well and standing better now. I heard she needs it for 5 days. Does anyone know what this might be?
Welcome to BYC!

Tylan needs to be given at least twice a day, and people normally give it for 2 days beyond the bird looking well, but if you don't see any improvement by day 3 you should consult a vet.

-Kathy

Thank you so much. This is her 4th day and standing better. Any idea what this might be? She has been this way for almost 2 months

I just bought Tylan 50 for my pullet. Does anyone know the dosage I should give? I'd say she's only about a pound. I need help fast she's gasping for air and seems very sick.

I just bought Tylan 50 for my pullet. Does anyone know the dosage I should give? I'd say she's only about a pound. I need help fast she's gasping for air and seems very sick.
It can be given orally and there is a group of vets that suggest giving 0.2 ml per pound every 6-8 hours.

Back
Top Bottom