Tylan 50 injectable taken orally?

Do you know how much your bird weighs? What are you trying to treat her for?
She has a cold. And she weighs about 5 lbs. Shes average size. She was really struggling breathing. So we seperated her. And did all the other suggestions such as vetRX and booster in her water etc...she just wasn't getting better. So I'm wanting to try the Tylan to see if that helps.

Yes it makes sense. Thank you. I realize it's not the best way to give the Tylan. But I'm nevous giving her a shot. So I will try it orally first. Though I did pick up needles jist in case I have to inject her. So we will see how this goes first. Thank,you!

She has a cold. And she weighs about 5 lbs. Shes average size. She was really struggling breathing. So we seperated her. And did all the other suggestions such as vetRX and booster in her water etc...she just wasn't getting better. So I'm wanting to try the Tylan to see if that helps.
Chickens don't get colds.

Sound like she might have
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/mycoplasmosis/mycoplasma-gallisepticum-infection-in-poultry

Be sure to give the Tylan every 8 hours.

Yes it makes sense. Thank you. I realize it's not the best way to give the Tylan. But I'm nevous giving her a shot. So I will try it orally first. Though I did pick up needles jist in case I have to inject her. So we will see how this goes first. Thank,you!
If she has a bacterial infection that is sensitive to tylosin (Tylan), giving it orally 3 times a day should work.

I have the same problem as the lady above. I have tried VetRx and vitamins and electrolytes in water and it didn't do anything. I have Tylan 50 injection and I would like to give it orally 3 times a day but my bottle expired in Jan 2019 so 11 months ago and I cannot find a new bottle due to the gov making antibiotics for chickens prescription only. Can I still use this expired bottle and should I up or double the dose since it's expired and it looses its potency from what I read online?

I personally would use it, but I would only give it orally at a dosage of 1/4 ml (0.25 ml) per pound 3 times a day. Keep it in the fridge just to keep it fresher. You can try to get some Tylan (tylosin) powder for the water here for future use:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

Dosage is 1 tsp (5 grams) per gallon of water for 5 days. It has to be mixed by adding water to the powder, not the other way around or it does not mix well.

Thank you. I started with Tylan 50 orally and will see how it goes. In the future I can try what you suggested since my Tylan 50 is expired and I will toss it after this treatment anyway. I also found Fish Mox which is a broad-spectrum antibiotic for fish online and was wondering if anyone used it for respiratory issues in chickens before?

"Fish Mox® (Amoxicillin Trihydrate) from Thomas Labs is a broad-spectrum antibiotic that controls gram-positive and some gram-negative bacteria in fish. It works by halting the multiplication of bacteria associated with both fresh and salt water ornamental fish diseases."

If your chickens respond to Tylan, then you are probably seeing MG. Amoxicillin will not treat MG or respiratory diseases. I am not that familiar with spiromycin. I would stick with Tylan, but if they seem to develop resistance, then switch to something else. Baytril (enrofloxacin) which is banned in chickens, but may be prescribed by some vets, will also treat MG. Jedds has that as well.

This afternoon will be 2 days since I have started the treatment with Tylan 50 and they are not worse and they are not better. I will continue the treatment but I need to order a broad spectrum antibiotic because I really don't know if they have MG. You mentioned Baytril but it says permanent egg withdraw? Is there any other antibacterial med out there good for a big range of possible chicken respiratory infections?

Back
Top Bottom