Tylan 50 injectable taken orally?

When dosing with tylan do you have to not eat eggs for a while afterwards?

If so, what's the waiting period.

Also, I've been giving .5 ml orally for 4 days and don't see much improvement. It's a full sized Light Brahma. Should I dose more because it's a bigger bird?

Can they be overdosed on antibiotics and be hurt by it?

Thanks for any info!

You can dose 1/2ml orally up to 7 days, no more than that. If there's no improvement, it means the tylan is ineffective and you'd have to use a different antibiotic. Baytril would be your next best choice. Remember that if it's a viral problem, antibiotics wont work. Baytril has a 5 day withdrawal period.

My chicken had a very adverse reaction when I gave injectable Tylan orally. Have you tasted it? It is disgusting. I would not advise giving the injectable Tylan orally. I had a burning sensation on my tongue after I tasted it. I feel really badly now for trying to make my bird swallow it. If you want to give it orally, buy the form you dissolve in water.

My chicken had a very adverse reaction when I gave injectable Tylan orally.  Have you tasted it?  It is disgusting.  I would not advise giving the injectable Tylan orally.  I had a burning sensation on my tongue after I tasted it.  I feel really badly now for trying to make my bird swallow it.  If you want to give it orally, buy the form you dissolve in water.

One could tube it.

-Kathy

My chicken had a very adverse reaction when I gave injectable Tylan orally. Have you tasted it? It is disgusting. I would not advise giving the injectable Tylan orally. I had a burning sensation on my tongue after I tasted it. I feel really badly now for trying to make my bird swallow it. If you want to give it orally, buy the form you dissolve in water.

Keep in mind that chickens have very few "taste" receptors (taste buds) than humans. What was the adverse reaction when you gave the tylan orally?

He gags and has foam running out of his mouth for an hour or more afterwards.

There is a oral form of Tylan. I would use that and not the injectable form. I only gave it orally since it was recommended on one of the threads on BYC. As someone who used to work in the veterinary field, I would never recommend it be given orally. Not only does it taste bad, but it also burns for a long time afterwards. I honest think giving the tylan orally set back my rooster's recovery. Of course each case is different. If there is a better product out there that is designed to be given orally then here this no reason to give an irritant orally and risk a reaction to your bird. I just want to warn people that there are better ways to give antibiotics than doing what I did.

He gags and has foam running out of his mouth for an hour or more afterwards.

There is a oral form of Tylan. I would use that and not the injectable form. I only gave it orally since it was recommended on one of the threads on BYC. As someone who used to work in the veterinary field, I would never recommend it be given orally. Not only does it taste bad, but it also burns for a long time afterwords. I honest think giving the tylan orally set back my rooster's recovery. Of course each case is different. If there is a better product out there that is designed to be given orally then here this no reason to give an irritant orally and risk a reaction to your bird. I just want to warn people that there are better ways to give antibiotics than doing what I did.
The problem with the powder is that it's meant to be given in water, and sick birds don't usually drink enough, right? So for it to be effective, one would have to measure out a dose, mix it with water and syringe or tube the proper amount. One could also buy tylosin (Tylan) pills, but that requires planning ahead and stocking up a first aid kit, which would also apply to the powder since it's not an item stocked by most feed stores.

Curiously, when you gave it orally, did you give it on the tongue, or did you place the syringe at the entrance to the esophagus? This is how I would give it:

From: http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm

-Kathy

What is tylan 50 best used for in chickens ,what is it Ment to Cure?
Tylan (tylosin) is used to treat respiratory diseases, such as MG and coryza), but is also sometimes used to treat enteritis in chickens. Tylan comes in Tylan 50 and 200 injectable which can be used as an injection or given orally, and Tylan Soluble Powder, used in the water for 3-5 days. Here is a link about it: http://www.drugs.com/vet/tylan-soluble.html

Thank you for your reply,next ???? If respiratory disease is cured by tylan 50 , do the bird remain carrier's of this disease can they pass it on to the flock at any time or just during an outbreak?

Back
Top Bottom