U R G E N T PLEASE HELP! -------> Stunted pullet in peril!

Coric

Hatching
6 Years
May 26, 2013
We've had chickens for years and this is new..

This BO is the same age (3 months) as the larger hen beside her. She still has chick fluff.

This isn't the problem, but this is just some information that might be useful.

Yesterday, we noticed our little BO was not acting normally. Today, she wasn't moving in the coop.

After taking a look, I discovered this under her wing.

Normal wing

She is treated for Marek's, so I would hope it is nothing of that sort.

Is it a cyst? Do we need to drain it? What are chances of survival?

We attempted to drain the mass, it was just gelatinous blood. We patched her up and are awaiting some advice.

keep the area clean. since you drained the cyst is it gone? keep on eye on her. I'm not sure what this is but yes certain diseases do cause tumors and Marek's is one. a very sad but true fact is although vaccinated 5% of vaccinated birds still acquire Marek's. im NOT saying that's what this is.. just letting you know its possible to contract the disease although vaccinated. I would watch her closely make sure it does not get infected. perhaps someone else knows the origin of the cyst. hope this helps some. best of luck.

Her wing feels fine. The black coloration spreads all the way to her hip.

Her wing feels fine. The black coloration spreads all the way to her hip.

It looks like a nasty bruise to me... Not sure what could have caused it though. FYI, a vet told me the easiest place to get blood from a bird is under their wing, so maybe that vein is the source of the bleed?

-Kathy

She died this morning. :(

Thanks for trying to help, I wonder if it was related to her stunted growth?

That looks weird... it looks like it was a hemorrhage? Perhaps if she was flying or stretching her wings and she hit something or something hit her or perhaps it was just a stretch and she had a fault which caused her to bleed internally... this would have stinted her growth and eventually flooded her organs...
hmm.png

Just a theory. Sorry for your loss...

Back
Top Bottom