Udate ..help Asap Cocci Outbreak

GhostRider65

Songster
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
NE Wisconsin
Could someone tell me how much corid how long to give it for, its a supper long story can be found here...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=528841
I need this as soon as possible these chicks have been sick and dying all week, I added some this morning, just sprinkled about a 1/2 ts, or less no measuring spoons around. because this stupid bag gives directions for 250 gallons of the poop, and no directions for a freaking quart, stupid label.....anyway I'm a tad upset been freaking out for days wondering what was killing the babies..Ty in advance.pdate

Last edited:
Please give me the directions the bag gives for the 250 gallons. I'll figure it out.
Add some powdered milk to their starter to coat their stomach as well. It helps.

I use 2 teaspoons per gallon the first day and 1 teaspoon a gallon for 4 more days. make sure it's the only water they have available, and mix it fresh every day. If you have any too weak to drink give it with a syringe and offer some baby cereal mixed with it as well. The baby cereal seems to be easy for them to digest with the damage the cocci does to the intestines and therefore helps them keep up their strength.

Quote:
Thank you, that will keep me from having to do math on the weekend!
tongue.png
Hope this advice helps wnd the peeps improve.

TY guys
Don't know what I would do without you all......... your life savers, they seemed better tonight, I brought them some Naturewise starter with the extra probiotics in it which is what I use because I remember reading not to give them medicated starter when treating cocci, so I figured meat maker probably wasn't good for them either, harder to digest. I also gave them vitamins in the water. That won't affect the corid will it? I have powdered milk, but how do I mix it for them dry or make milk?, I will try some natural vanilla yogurt tomorrow or the next day mixed with some HB eggs. I feel so terrible wish I could have known more about the cocci and treated before I lost like 8 babies, no symptoms showed until this morning when I seen the red bloody pooh.......argggggggg
Also will this prevent them getting it again? will they now be immune? also what about the loose babies with their momma's if cocci is around shouldn't they also be treated, what about the flock that is loose can they get it from these babies? arg so many questions I know sorry, But I'm new to chickens I just got my first 1's in March and these aren't even mine, I'm caring for the neighbors animals while they are in Africa. she's gonna be so upset.......... these are babies she hatched before they left, in the incubator, the eggs that are in there still are dead I think I have been doing what she told me but none have hatched we had a storm that put the power out 3 hours and I think it killed the eggs......

I've read in a few threads never to give vitamins during the treatment- give the vitamins after you've finished the meds. Or so I've been told on here! I'm sorry you lost so many, I know it's hard. I lost one of my little Silkie babies because i couldn't find meds in time. I hope your babies get well soon.

Ty
1 more question I just thought of, what about the ducks, there's a cage of 5 babies right next to them, and there cage is mucky too, no bedding in it just dirt floor and 1 end where the water is, is mucky, I threw shavings in that spot to soak up some of the muck but It's plastered down already? do they get it? there's also 2 turkey poults in that cage? will it hurt them?

Bumping this up because I still need some answers Lost another baby today, they are getting the meds. how long before they stop dying on me?
Need to know about the powdered milk? the ducks next door to them, what about the flock itself? are they safe, some momma's have newly hatched chicks running with them....
is their anything more I can do for them?

No idea on the ducks, but you should treat all your chickens. Some may be too far gone to save with the meds- what I've been told is that the damage is done- the meds kill the oocysts, but nothing can repair the damage to the digestive tract. I think that is why my chick died- she was just too far gone.

You can buy powdered milk at Walmart in the baking aisle. I just mixed 1/2 tsp into the water/chick starter mash. Mix it well, it clumps up if not. The milk is supposedly good for coating the intestines, to minimize the damage I think.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom