Ugh... hurt my roo tonight. *Update* He attacked DH.

We had an OEG rooster who was extremely aggressive. He would always attack me whether I'm out by my rabbit barn or feeding my dog, he didn't care, he just wanted to attack me regardless. I could handle him attacking me in the legs and he too got multiple flying lessons. Obviously he never got the hint and kept attacking me for the 1+ years we had him. I did try the picking him up and carrying him around but that never helped. Finally one night I went out to the put the girls to bed and he attacked me in the face. That was his last try... so he was re-homed to a lady that was fully aware he was aggressive. She even carries around a shocking cattle prod, so I'm sure he is having a fun time
smile.png

We won't handle aggressive roosters, we had a Silkie who was aggressive but never like the OEG. The Silkie though was re-homed. We got chickens for pets and would like to enjoy them. Not be looking behind our backs to make sure any roosters are going to attack! We now have three roosters (Cochin, Polish and a Silkie whom we purchased with our other Silkie) and they are all sweeties! My Cochin is my baby! He is such a sweetie and I'm always giving him loves
love.gif

I have very limited experience but we avoided handling our roo chick for the reasons above. He began attacking us at about 16 weeks. I personally think he felt threatened by us and didn't see as the bringer of good things because we never brought good things to him. Either affection (within reason) or treats. Knocking him off his hens, well it seems like that would start to annoy you after awhile. Again, I defer to people with a LOT more experience but I won't raise a roo this way again. I know why you did it, and I did the same, but everything you did was designed to intimidate him. I think I'd be a little pi%*$(% too.

We have another ee roo that we thought was a hen for a long time. He got a lot of affection and is an awesome roo. he is 6 months and has never made an aggressive move toward any human. I realize that this can change in a second but I feel more comfortable knowing that he knows we are on his side.

That said..........Bon Appetite!

I think it all has to do with an individual birds temperament. Not breed or how he is handled when he's a chick.
There seems to be just as many people with aggressive roos that have never handled them, as there are with mean roos that were petted and pampered.
My current roo is fantastic to the girls and even better, he totally respects me. He has a little less respect for my DH, but has never ever even looked like he would attack either of us. Vern never eats or mates while I am in the chicken yard, but he will do both when DH is in there. He does keep a very close eye on me when I need to pick up a hen and he does get decidedly nervous if she makes a squawk about getting picked up. He won't do more than walk in tight circles around my feet though.
In the past, I have had roos that were just plain mean, Ralph, a RIR roo that made a great pot of chicken & dumplings.
droolin.gif
He refused to calm down no matter what we tried, so we ate him. I've had other RIR roos that were not mean. None of those birds were hatchery stock, which I believe can make a difference in temperament, since temperament isn't something hatcheries select for (if they select for anything other than egg laying).

I have to say having a few agressive roos in the past once they show the agressive side they dont tame. I will also add when you show agression at the roo it makes things worse. So either keep him in your eyesight at all times and never turn your back on him or sad to say show him the stew pot.....and I am not heartless I jsut not that if your not safe with the animal around he will get someone who doesnt expect it and you will regret not having chicken soup earlier

Quote:
I have to agree I dont think it has anything to do with breed or handling on average day. I know mine that were agressive got same handling as the calm ones. And I have had several breeds who have done this as well. But yep Tammy chicken and dumplings is a good meal.

Quote:
DITTO and Amen!
thumbsup.gif
This is how I do it too. No need to kick or hurt an animal if you watch how they establish dominance and copy it. If I saw a top roo pick up another and cuddle with him, I might try this practice....but then again, I may get rid of that top roo~too much of a sissy for my flock!
lol.png

Consistency is key in any animal training....if you switch from one tactic to another, all you have is a confused and agitated animal that STILL doesn't know what you expect.

You can't have your cake and eat it, too.
People want roosters to be protective of their girls but not aggressive towards humans...think about that for a minute......they're chickens...they feel safe as long as they are all chickens, because they inherently know what to expect from another chicken...... but when you when you want to handle the hens, feed them by hand, "pet" them, show them to the children, hand feed them treats, you are expecting your rooster to accommodate a lot of behavior that is counter-intuitive to his little brain. I think there are a lot of people out there killing perfectly good roosters....roosters that are doing their job...because they have read some accounts of "exceptional" roosters....and are now of a mind to except nothing less. it's a shame, really. Chickens should be enjoyed for the unique creatures that they are...not what we think they ought to be.
DD

I don't let mine charge even...that's a major no-no. I do not want to be challenged...the last time that happened, a well-placed boot to the sternum sent a Sussex a-flyin' and knocked the wind out of him. Now, he runs to the other side of the pen and when I walk forward, he walks back and turns his back to me. I'd rather have a slightly standoffish, but respectful roo than one I have to constantly watch my back around...

Back
Top Bottom