Uh-oh! I may have a rooster

SarcasmPhD

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 22, 2015
Somewhere in the Lone Star.
I've got 8 chicks total. One of the black Australorps developed "her" comb while still in the brooder. They are now almost 3 months old. In the mornings, I am beginning to hear what sounds like a rooster crowing. I haven't seen "her" actually crow. Although, the other girls still do not have full comb development. Anyways, I've included some pictures. If I do have a rooster, here are my options:
1) the local feedstore said they would take it
2) buy that No Crow Collar - any suggestions on how well that works?

My chickens are extremely close to other backyards. Pretty sure neighbors will not appreciate a rooster crowing at daybreak. Any help would be appreciated on how to tell if I have a rooster.

Thank you in advance.

I would say you are right. I know nothing about the collar and how effective. Nice that the feedstore will take them back most have to either cull them or find someone to take them (and let's be honest most of those are headed to the stew pot). I got a rooster out of my 6 last year that were in the pullet bin. I think I have a rooster out of the 4 this year from the pullet bin, unfortunately I think the 10% error rate is wishful thinking.
The indicators (besides the crow) are thicker legs, starting of spurs in the back instead of just the spur button. Also differences in neck feathers that someone else will be better at explaining than I am. A more upright stance than the flat back hen stance.
Ask your neighbors if any have heard the crow. It is the season for other backyard keepers to be putting the chicks out, maybe it is not yours that you hear?

Last edited:
Also that one has a really pretty sheen and some green to it, I have never had Australorps but aren't the hens much more drab and kind of brown or at least much more flat in color than that?

If it's any consolation, I have an easter Egger hen who must be 99% black australorp....she is a beautiful black with green iridescence. The green is not necessarily indication of a rooster.

It's not the green color that concerns me. It's the development of the comb way before the others, the sharpness of the tail feathers and of course, the crowIng like sound we are hearing in the mornings.

If its comb is a bright red compared to the others pale pink combs, then you can be pretty certain it's a cockerel.

You have my sympathy and understanding. There's nothing quite as stressful as waiting to see if you are going to end up with any roosters. It's why I've been selecting breeds the past few years where the chicks are easily sexed due to the males and females having different appearances.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom