Uh, oh... Maybe a SECOND Broody? Olivia's Sister TUX!

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
OMGosh, that sound is unmistakeable. The screech. The main flock was locked back inside the pen so Suede and the Suede-ettes could roam. I had just walked out of the nursery after tending to the chicks when I heard it. The grating screech of a broody hen. I look up, see all the girls lined up at the top of the pen and right in the middle I see the source of that sound, a puffed up screeching feathered beachball. I think, "Oh, Olivia's taking a break from her eggs." Then I realize, that is not Livvie, it's TUX! I walk around and talk to her and she looks up at me, all innocent and sweet so maybe she's working up to broody.
When I go in and tell DH, he says, Oh, yeah, Kate and Tux (Kate is the #1 sister of the Poufyheads) were really going at it, a full blown fight today when I threw scratch out. Well, Kate, Tux and Livvie do not fight. EVER. Uh, oh.
bitefingrs.gif

Here's Tux, so named because as a chick, she had a bright white chest. She and her sisters are a year and a half old now. Olivia's chick is due to hatch Saturday.
DCP_8766.jpg

Speckled Hen you are just to lucky. My broody Whitey is due on Saturday also, I can't see any of her eggs in the nest though, she is sitting on them all buried in hay. I am starting to have second thoughts on if I will even have any hatches. Did you candle any of Olivia's eggs? By the way Tux looks all ticked off in that picture!

I did candle Olivia's eggs at 10 days then one I wasn't sure of at 13 days. She started with 3, one had a distinct blood ring and the other didn't seem right at the first candling so we put it back and waited. When we recandled, it was an embryo that stopped almost maybe six days along or so. SO, she has one egg that had a bouncing baby chick in it at 10 days and I have not candled that one since.
Tomorrow, the feedstore is getting in SLWs and GLWs from Ideal and I think we'll get a couple to slip under her when hers hatches so she will have more than one baby.
Tux is a sweetheart. When rooster-red came up to get three pullets from me, he brought his son with him. Tux took quite a shine to Kyle, LOL. In fact, these three sisters are so precious, I wouldn't take a thousand bucks for any one of them. Here's another pic of Tux, then her sisters, Olivia and Kate. Dont know why they wouldn't go broody since their late great daddy was a Cochin/Silkie cross, LOL.
DCP_8870Tux.jpg

DCP_9003.jpg

DCP_7946Kate.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I guess it really isn't an UH, OH, LOL. I just want her to wait till Livvie is done before she goes over the edge. I'm not really set up for multiple broodies. Guess I'd better start thinking about what I'll do if she really goes all the way broody!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom