UH-OHH Big Mistake, cold eggs

ChickenLegs13

Songster
6 Years
Sep 4, 2013
Lower Alabama
I was running short of blue egg layer hens so on Jun 11 I threw a dozen or so blue eggs in the bator to hatch some more. I already had an earlier set in there.
On about Day 16 or 17 I noticed eggs from the earlier set were hatching so I unplugged the turning racks so it wouldn't squish any chicks and tossed the chicks and the earlier set into the hatcher.
On Day 18 I was moving the blue eggs into the hatcher and I noticed they were'nt as warm as they should have been. Got to checking and yep, I had unpluged the bator instead of the turning racks. In the 2-3 days it was unplugged the temp had dropped to 85.6*. Maybe if it maintained some warmth the first day or so the internal temp of the eggs didn't get cold enough to harm them.
I used to check the bator temp several times per day, now I rarely pay any attention to it. I should have this time!!
4-5 eggs were clears, 2 were questionable and 6 looked good. They were scheduled to hatch around noon Saturday July 2. Interesting to see what happens.

Doesn't hurt to just keep incubating. Personally I wouldn't place more eggs in an incubator with eggs that have bin in there for awhile, it's too complicated. Good luck!

I agree with ShellyBear. I once had two eggs underneath a broody hen and I went out all dday and came back to find the coop door had swung shut and my broody hen was locked out. I left them under her and they hatched a few days later. Hope it turns out alright
tongue.png

Another 1 hatched today. He seemed to be retarded in some way because he was all knarled up and just layed on the screen and flopped around. By evening he was walking but walks kinda jerky & shaky like. I'd say the chances of the rest hatching and/or being normal are slim. I'll give it couple more days just to see if anything happens.

Another 1 hatched today. The one that was crippled up yesterday got over whatever his problem was and all 3 of them are in the brooder acting normal.

Back
Top Bottom