UK Member Please Say HI

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Habibs Hens, Apr 23, 2012.

1. KevUK

KevUK New Egg

Jun 1, 2015
    Hi all, im from Doncaster South Yorkshire, we have 1 Female Aylesbury Duck who is 12 weeks currently - Was told to maybe ask here if anyone around knows of a place in the UK to get Diapers for ducks, never realised how messy ducks can be lol.

2. hllewellyn

hllewellyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Firstly, do you just have one duck? Are you keeping her inside? Ducks aren't house pets, they need to be messy, they need to swim and wade around. Putting a diaper on the duck will just make her vulnerable to horrible infection and will most likely just distress her and knock her off balance. Ducks also need the company of their own kind. Depriving her of all of these necessary things will greatly reduce her quality of life. If you want a house pet who wont be messy and can be kept inside perhaps a fish or a hamster or something is a better idea.

3. hensanity

hensanity Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2015
    Burton, Cheshire, UK
    Hello and greetings from Burton, UK! :frow I'm originally from Texas but my husband is from here. In fact, after his father passed away :hit we got the house that he was born in, along with around three acres of field. It was really hard for me to move here as I have three grown kids that are still in Texas (along with my mom :hit), my youngest came with me and loved it from the start lol. He's now 16 and fixing to take animal management at Rease Heath :fl. Anyway, my husband bought some chickens just to have for eggs, but when he saw how taken I was with them he started buying more as a hobby for me.
    It has all gotten soooo out of hand lol and now we are both addicted :lol:
    We have Plymouth Barred Rocks, Light Sussex, Welsummers, Rhode Island Reds, Black Copper Marans, Wheaten Marans, Partridge Brahmas, and a few Black Rock hybrids.
    We recently hatched out some more brahma chicks and some Crested Cream Legbars too.
    I told you, we've totally lost the plot now :ya
    I love where we live though, right beside the Dee Marsh and the Wales border. I adore Wales!
    We're currently in the process of setting up the new chicken site, as we only recently got the three acres (huge issues with his father's will, long long story lol but sorted now). My personal favourites are my brahma babies, although I have one black rock that absolutely loves for me to rock her :gig.

Val

Judy Wilson, Freisian and Onemadmum like this.
  4. avocado

avocado Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2014
    UK
    Hello! I'm from Buckinghamshire in the UK. Glad to find this little group!

Judy Wilson and Onemadmum like this.
  5. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hello and welcome to the newbies who have joined our thread.

Avocado that's a cute avatar pic. What breed/s do you have?

Hensanity, that's an interesting background. Must be really hard leaving family across such a big pond, but the wonders of modern technology mean that at least they are only a click away. Your flock sounds a bit like mine.... ever expanding and varied. I haven't got any Brahmas or Light Sussex yet and Buff Orps are probably on my list and I absolutely love Black Rocks but they are not easy to come by. If you have a Cream Legbar cockerel I can recommend crossing him to your RIRs. They are lovely friendly birds and they lay beautiful olive eggs.

Hi Kev. I really have no idea about nappies for ducks but my experience of ducks is that they are never happier that when they are making a muddy puddle into a pond. They just love to make a mess and I think that is a natural and healthy for them. I'm not saying that you can't keep them in a house, as I'm sure many people do, but I think they are happier being part of a flock in an environment where they can get wet and dabble in mud. Good luck with your little pal though.

Hikaribug,... that's great that they found the owner. I like a happy ending!

6. hensanity

hensanity Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2015
    Burton, Cheshire, UK

We do have a Cream Legbar cockerel, and I will definitely do that! That's one of the reasons we got the legbars, because people wanted the coloured eggs. Thank you!

7. chickens galore

chickens galore Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2015
    bridgend south wales uk
    Hi I used to live in asby-de-la zouch derbyshire my grown up kids still live there, moved to wales because of hubbies work to a small holding, Things may of got a bit out of hand did a head count last night 56 chickens 2 ducks 6 eggs under a broody and 4 pea eggs in the incubator, will really have to sell some later this year[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi Chickens galore

I try to avoid a head count because I don't want to shock myself. I think I'm not far behind you though. I count groups to ensure everyone is in on a night and try my best not to add up the numbers in each group..... so I have 7 leghorns, 6 mutt sisters, 4 oldies, 3 growing out chicks, 2 cockerels, 2 special needs, and 3 assorted others, plus 10 eggs under a broody and 10 lads in the bachelor pad..... and another possible broody who hasn't got any eggs yet but may get half a dozen guinea fowl eggs... just because I was given them and it would be a shame to waste them!. I don't even like guinea fowl!!!
    Please don't feel obliged to do the sums for me....ignorance is bliss. [​IMG] It really is shockingly easy for things to get out of hand! I started with 3 a year and a half ago!

Good luck with your hatch.

Barbara

DizzyDawn and Judy Wilson like this.
  9. KirstieJG

KirstieJG Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2015
    Oh yes it does get out of hand! Do any of you sell your excess birds?

I started with two black copper marans, Karan and Mavis and three runner ducks called Francesca, Hildegaard and Penelope, Francesca and Hildegaard turned out to be Frankie and Harry!

After finding out that my local play farm sold hatching eggs as eating eggs for £1.50 half a dozen, I have got into hatching this year and after three incubations I have spare runner ducks (I couldnt resist) and cross bantams. I have managed to sell 2 of the bantams and am going to try and sell more at a fete this weekend. I am not talking loads, just 4 bantams and 6 runner ducks left.

What is the best venue / forum to sell them?

10. pasuit

pasuit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Midwest City, OK
    Hello. I'm in Midwest City Oklahoma in the US. I'm not sure how many chickens I have and I have just finished with a new hatch of bearded americaunas. Not sure of the spelling. LOL. I was told you could hatch refrigerated eggs so I bought 30 at an auction and hatched them. 16 hatched but only 14 survived. At least I know it can be done. I have 8 cukoo marans, 4 Black Copper marans and 1 bearded americauna hens, 21 chicks, 4 ducks and 1 goose. The ducks and the goose are messy. I just sold 5 gunieas. I've been a member of BYC for 3 or 4 years and very much enjoy the other members. Welcome to the group.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by