UK Member Please Say HI

Some new pictures of my three week old chick. This is the one I'm most intrigued by. Any ideas yet?

It looks like a little Pekin @philyc :D

Here are the two I had but a little older than yours ~

@rebrascora also has some Pekin chicks, what do you think Barbara?

The egg it hatched from was a lot bigger then the eggs I get from my bantams though. Or am I wrong in thinking that it should be a full sized breed?

Hi everyone! So Due to popular demand, I have managed to coax my chicks into posing for some up to date photos...
From teaching them where the food is:

To a massive improvement in the chick with complications:

My second hatch has certainly been an eventful one!

Very nice chicks Georgie :clap

Great to hear the one with complications is now on the right road :D

Thanks Yorkshire Coop! I am so proud of all of them...they've been doing so well today, finding the food and water. Although I did notice some of them looked as if they were gasping, so thought maybe my heat plate may have been a bit low, so I've moved that up a bit and tried syringing some water on to their beaks to make sure they are definitely drinking. Could it mean anything else if they are gasping?

My first thought would be that were too hot as you suspect. See how they get on once the plate is lifted and they get chance to cool down. Are they acting normal in all other ways? They just have got a bit over heated.

Y
My first thought would be that were too hot as you suspect. See how they get on once the plate is lifted and they get chance to cool down. Are they acting normal in all other ways? They just have got a bit over heated.

Yeh they seem OK otherwise...the later chick is still a bit wobbly on her legs but the others all seem to be running round and having a great time, eating and drinking normally, was just her that seemed to be gasping a lot and being extremely vocal...all the others are keeping quiet or chirping away to themselves, but she is just cheeping away at the top of her lungs. Can't seem to make her happy :/

Y
Yeh they seem OK otherwise...the later chick is still a bit wobbly on her legs but the others all seem to be running round and having a great time, eating and drinking normally, was just her that seemed to be gasping a lot and being extremely vocal...all the others are keeping quiet or chirping away to themselves, but she is just cheeping away at the top of her lungs. Can't seem to make her happy :/

Have you checked to make sure she is not bunged up with poop? What does her navel look like? I'm afraid that sometimes when they have had a difficult hatch and are weak they can have underlying problems which can have caused the difficult hatch. I know it's not nice to say but not all chicks thrive after hatch. All you can do is your best, which I know you are doing :hugs

I've had my fair share of failure to thrive chicks.

Back
Top Bottom