UK Member Please Say HI

Aww that's amazing!! Do you know what birds they are? Make sure you don't put your fire on then imagine that
1f648.png

@GoodieWhempermy god my ight susex is noisey but good lord when I had a bluebell she was the loudest of them all they are always loud first thing in the morning
1f557.png
I put it down to chicken politics' and shouting to come out to run about I don't think u will find its anything to do with food
1f60b.png
I used to be like u worrying about the noise but to be honest the amount of dogs that bark around the neighborhood including my next door neighbor my chickens are.nota patch on that xx

I found leaving treats in the run for when they woke up really worked this morning! Going to try again. I live on the edge of a village so we do have dogs barking, crows and pigeons and in the summer even cattle calling during the day. Also a neighbour who plays loud reggae and two tone in the summer. It is early morning I am worried about. I already have four mad collies and don't to annoy people trying to sleep!

@Suffolkingood

Hi and welcome.

What a naughty username!!!
wink.png
Surprised it got past moderators' censorship! It must be just sufficiently obscured to not be noticed!

Tell us a bit more about your poultry! What breeds/species, how many, how old etc? Do you have any other animals. We love photos if you have some to share.

Best wishes

Barbara

@Yorkshire Coop

Hi Kim

The flags made me smile. I even showed Ian and explained they were flying for me, I was so thrilled!
We had a great day on Sunday. Archie pulled my arms out and jumped everything whether I wanted to or not!! Some we had to jump several times to give Zak a lead over. The weather was perfect, the scenery and views were sensational and we had a splash in the river when we got back to cool off. Zak had never been in a river before but he followed straight in without hesitation. The scran van was a whole new level for event catering. It was a personal chef (the type who come to your house and do dinner parties) who was doing it and I had a medium rare sirloin steak with stilton in a baguette for only £5 and it was huge and tender and tasty and a gorgeous chunk of carrot cake for afters for £1.50. We had taken sandwiches, but so pleased we treated ourselves instead. Wow! Was it good! Certainly beat one of those cheap burgers with a slice of plastic cheese in a naff bun that they normally charge a fiver for.

I've been really busy working outside whilst the weather is so glorious. Trying to get some work done in the garden, delivering horse manure, trimming the oldies feet (boy, were they in need of doing!) Still got fencing and weed killing to do and lots more manure to shift and some to spread on the land but making a little progress with things. Unfortunately I know that the good weather will end before I get even half of my list completed. Having to strip graze the field in case Rebel colics again, so moving two electric fences back a yard or two each day is a real pain, especially when I have 3 horses pawing at the gate for me to hurry up!

Sadly I am going to have to euthanize one of my hens that has been internally laying for at least 8 months. Her abdomen is huge and hot but she is still eating and drinking and scratching and getting up onto the roost, even though she walks like a penguin. Unfortunately the other hens have started picking on her and I've had to take her out of the pen. The benefit for her is that she is being allowed to free range on some lovely green grass for her last few days and is keeping a lone cockerel that is on "death row" and has a pen in the paddock, company, so it's beneficial for both of them. It's going to be really hard to cull her. She is one of my first chicks (Tasha's clutch of 14).

Anyway, must head back out there and crack on with the work. Shame your Polish eggs are not looking good fertility wise. I hope you get a few and what you do get are all pullets (You've gotta have hope!
wink.png
) I will be interested to see photos of the goslings....they should be so cute!

Best wishes

Barbara

@rebrascora

Hi. Yes the name is quite naughty!
Glad someone noticed it!

I care for 59 chickens, 2 Guinea fowls and 1 Duck.
3 dogs (1 is mine)
2 cats.
1 Shetland pony.
3 sheep and 1 ram.
1 goat.
16 rabbits.
1 snake.
And around 60-70 Koi carp.

There are-
1 Spanish Cockerel and 5 hens.
1 dark Brahma Cockerel and 2 hens.
1 Russian Orloff Cockerel and 3 hens.
2 Cuckoo Cochin Cockerels, 3 black hens and 5 cuckoo hens.
1 Russian Orloff Bantam Cockerel and 2 hens.
1 Isabella Bantam Cockerel and 3 hens.
1 Blue partridge Brahma Bantam and 5 hens.
1 Pekin Bantam Cockerel and 5 hens.
1 Laced Wyandotte hen.
3 Frizzle Bantams.
3 Orloff Bantam crossed with Indian game.
1 Malay hen.
2 Houdan hens.
1 ISA Brown hen.
2 Speckledy hens.
2 Old English cockerels.

Can't think of the others at the moment.

They keep me very busy indeed.

WOW! That's some menagerie! And you nearly have more cockerels than me!! I assume that you have lots of breeding pens and some quite interesting breeds there. How have you coped with the bird flu restrictions. I imagine it has been a hard grind and since, I assume you breed to show or sell, quite frustrating. But then it has been for all of us.

Is the Shetland just a pet or is (s)he ridden/driven. They make great driving ponies when children have outgrown them.

What sort of snake is it? Don't know a lot about snakes except that some people feed them chicks, so wonder if it is part of the reprocessing of excess cockerels from the breeding pens? Waste not, want not
hmm.png
!

Look forward to seeing some photos perhaps when you are able to post them.

Regards

Barbara

@rebrascora

Yes too many cockerels!

My nephew used to show them quite regularly when he was younger. He's nearly 16 now so perhaps he's more interested in different kind of chicks :)

They're in their own separate coop and run and they all get to free range around the farm. A bit of a pain when feeding and cleaning!

Think the pony is not quite old enough for the children to ride yet.

It's a Cornsnake and he/she eats dead mice. But maybe could be used for culling unwanted chicks :-(

Forgot to mention. Currently have 46 eggs in the incubator and a few are due to hatch this Friday.

Also one of the Cochin hens is sitting on 14 eggs at the moment so we're expecting a few chicks for easter I guess :-D

I'll upload some photos when I get a chance.

Back
Top Bottom