UK Member Please Say HI

Hi
As this is the UK thread I’ll post on here first.
I have a trio of Silkies, one rooster and two hens, all hatched in my kitchen last year (28.06.17) and one of the girls has gone broody.
I am a total newbie and don’t want any more chicks at the moment so am I doing the right thing just lifting her out of the nest box and putting her back in the garden with the others? They free range and this is the first time I’m experiencing this.
Yeah. Keep taking her out. Remove eggs as soon as possible. If they have finished laying block the nest boxes off. Sometimes they can be really persistent. I have a Brahma that seems to go broody if you just look at her! I normally just take her out and put her in a dog cage in the garage with food and water for a day or two. No straw or anything she can nest with. She is very stubborn! Some people put them in cold water too try and cool them down but it is too cold for that and probably doesn't work. It just slows them down a bit. Just keep taking her out for a start and see if that works. If not up the ante!

Thanks to @Yorkshire Coop and @Chickencountryuk
I felt so sorry for her. She was so sweet and didn’t peck me, just puffed her feathers out a bit. I locked her out of the coop and run and when I came back from walking the dogs she was sitting under the nesting box looking really soulful :barnie
Ok, I’ll keep an eye on her. I have a large dog crate so she can go in that if it persists.
Thank you :thumbsup

The crate works. She didn't like it, I didn't like it but it was the quickest way to sort her. They can lose alot of condition when broody because they spend more time on the nest than eating. So it's best to try and get her back to normal asap.:)

The crate works. She didn't like it, I didn't like it but it was the quickest way to sort her. They can lose alot of condition when broody because they spend more time on the nest than eating. So it's best to try and get her back to normal asap.:)

My frizzle Polish mother hen was never the same again after going broody and hatching her chicks :hmm Yes it was fab to see it all done natural and she was a great mother but she didn’t look after herself.

Yes, I give them a few live mealworms in the afternoon and she didn’t even get off the nest......not even when I held a blooming worm in front of her nose...’er, beak!!
Dog crate is ready!!

Why does it all happen at once?! The wood chip I ordered for the run arrived today. So in preparation I decided to start raking the slop and straw out of the run. What a job! I got about a third of it done before I ran out of light and have a nice big smelly muddy pile of muck! I'm hoping it will not rain for the next few days so it can dry up some more. Any way I get a call from someone that has a 8x6 shed they want rid of by Saturday. So now I have to dismantle and remove this tomorrow night after work and try and take some more muck out of run out aswell as usual chicken duties. Saturday is a write off as I'm on a cpc course all day, so Sunday i have to finish the run clean the coops do some slabbing in the gateway finish some woodworking around the run for chips and do a muck run! I'll leave the shed till the summer I think! How's everybody else doing?!

Crikey @Chickencountryuk sounds like you are under pressure there! I’ve done coop and run cleaning again today, not that the runs look much better. Rained again today with some sun and it’s been quite gusty. In fact it seemed to be blowing a gale when I went to do the horses!

Charlie is on half term this week so at least he’s been in to dog sit his spaniel. That’s freed me up a bit to get some jobs done. Other than the usual traumas of life it’s going ok here.

Are you a HGV driver with doing your CPC course?

Back
Top Bottom