1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

***UK RESIDENTS - BIRD FLU ADVICE***

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rachd1987, Dec 7, 2016.

1. rachd1987

rachd1987 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2016
    2 people like this.
  2. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Oh no, oh no, oh no, oh no, oh no...

I'm moving to the UK in January, what am I gonna do? They'll never let me bring in the duccos now!!

3. pipsqueak123

pipsqueak123 New Egg

Aug 15, 2015
    Leicester
    This is a very worrying problem to all poultry keepers. I only have four birds in the back garden that usually free range for about 4 hours then go back in their run. Does this mean they have to stay inside their coop or stay inside their run. Not quite sure,.The run has a roof on it so no wild bird droppings.

4. rachd1987

Jan 27, 2016
    There's a lot of info on the link I posted - I would suggest as long as wild birds can't come into contact with yours you could be ok if you keep everything well disinfected etc, I'm moving mine into the garage to be on the safe side

Oh no! When in January do you arrive? The advice is currently in place for 30 days, so should be set to end at the beginning of Jan?

5. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013

I sure hope they hold that deadline, cuz the flight is on January 18th. Gah, they're gonna hold them in quarantine forever, I just know it ._.

6. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Thank you for the links rach- very helpful. I've decided to move all 12 ducks into the garage, and cover up the chickens run with a clear tarp. I really hope it doesn't reach the UK.

Amykins, I'm sure you will be fine bringing the ducks with you- the guidelines are only in place to try and prevent the migrating birds from spreading it to domestic poultry.

1 person likes this.
  7. fortbocs

fortbocs New Egg

Aug 30, 2016
    UK
    My babies are on lock down now for 30 days. I'm not risking it. They're gonna dislike it though. They love free ranging [​IMG]

8. jools2014

jools2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2014
    This is a nightmare-I actually had no idea as I don't usually watch the news its just my mum happened to tell me-but didn't say it was for chickens only turkeys so i forgot about it! Then my friends told me it's all poultry as they know i keep chickens and ducks. Such a worry. I don't have a roof on my pen so will have to keep them indoors completely-but the henhouse is brick so they will be completely safe I should think from any wild birds. Still worrying though and of course my birds will hate it being shut up. Honestly I would never keep chickens or ducks again, it was the worst thing I ever did before all this! The expense and worry is just not worth it.

9. rachd1987

Jan 27, 2016
    @Amykins , @chickygirl7 makes a very good point!

10. Beth77

Beth77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2015
    Scotland
    So are mine, they're not happy but it's for their own good :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by