***UK RESIDENTS - BIRD FLU ADVICE***

I don't know if I should risk it or not
1f61e.png

I don't know if I should risk it or not
1f61e.png

I'd take that risk! I'm only just inside a 'higher risk zone' and would do anything to be able to let my flock free range again....... There's a TINY risk of your birds getting it, and as long as you take the sensible precautions (ie: coverup food and water) I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine! :)

I just want to say I feel for all of you. I'm in the US but I'm sure it's just a matter of time until we need to take the same precautions all of you are. I'm so sorry all of you have to go through this. I would be worried sick. I can't imagine having to coop my ducks up inside for that long! It's bad enough when we have a huge snow storm and they can't get out for a few days. Sending good vibes all of your ways and to all of your ducks, chickens etc. After all of this is over please let the rest of us know what worked, helped, how to prepare etc. Good luck to you all.

What's everybody deciding? I'm not in a recession area but the woman on the helpline was useless. Just said read the website. I mean we can cover their food and water but the ducks forrige (can't spell it) for food so surely that's a risk? What are you all doing?

@duckitup

Thanks for your sympathies. It has been a long 3 months! I'm not sure who felt worse, me or my chickens....thankfully I don't have ducks as that must be so much worse. It's just been no fun and lots of extra hard work.
Interestingly your post comes on the day that some of us can relax the restrictions a bit, but there is a lot of confusion as to how to interpret the advice that has been given for the lucky people who can let them out. I'm one of those lucky people but I haven't let them out today yet. I might just give some of them an hour before bedtime and see how it goes. I moved most of my laying flock into a very kind neighbour's empty coop and run, and it will be a pain bringing them all back and reintegrating them, so I'm leaving them there for now(especially if we have to ramp up restrictions again if there are further outbreaks) and I'm just going to gradually give the rest of them partial free time in the afternoons and see how it goes.

@laurita1510

The above is how I am going to handle it. I don't have ducks and obviously water courses are the biggest cause for concern, so I would ensure they can't access natural water courses and maybe do like me and just give them an hour or two in the evening to start with, when you can perhaps supervise them.

I have been able to let my birds out today which has been wonderful-I'm not in a high risk zone thank goodness. I'm going to clean the henhouse out at the weekend and then hopefully things can go back to normal for the most part. No more mess from the ducks and soggy wet sawdust constantly in the house yayyy!

Not sure why the outbreak reported on below has been so slow to get larger media coverage particularly as it was just before the restrictions were amended, but it has made me very cautious as it's only about 15 miles away.

http://www.hexham-courant.co.uk/new...irmed-2080ba80-8936-49bb-8d1f-06d3b34f2ffc-ds

I'm in an area where I could relax my precautions a bit, but after reading this I'm probably going to continue keeping them in.

Thankfully no birds in commercial flocks and "backyard flocks"
Have been found with bird flu in Ireland yet,
But there has been 12 wild birds found.
No birds have been found in Ireland for about 2 weeks,
But the department of agriculture put the "compulsory" housing order forward to the 30th April.
I also saw that in Ireland free range commercial flocks can't sell their eggs as 'free range'
As of the 16th of March because at that stage they will have been housed for 12 weeks indoors,
And that's the maximum free range flocks can be housed for the whole year.
I think it's the same problem in the UK?

Fionn.

I just want to say I feel for all of you. I'm in the US but I'm sure it's just a matter of time until we need to take the same precautions all of you are. I'm so sorry all of you have to go through this. I would be worried sick. I can't imagine having to coop my ducks up inside for that long! It's bad enough when we have a huge snow storm and they can't get out for a few days. Sending good vibes all of your ways and to all of your ducks, chickens etc. After all of this is over please let the rest of us know what worked, helped, how to prepare etc. Good luck to you all.
Look up (Bird flu Tennessee) One in Wisconsin too.

Back
Top Bottom