1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Um, so I was gifted a fig tree...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by magicpigeon, Dec 29, 2011.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    To be honest I can't even remember the last time I ate a fig, nor what it tastes like [​IMG] Right now the plant is only as tall as my knee but there are 2 fruits about 2cm in diameter. So, my question is how are you supposed to eat figs?!!!! And, as a sub question, if I leave the tree alone will my chickens come along and ravage it??? [​IMG] How do you tell when green figs ripen? Please pardon my ignorance [​IMG] I can't cook to save my life and I pretty much survive on watermelon [​IMG] Thankyou in advance [​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yes, chickens love figs. That's about all I know about 'em, though.

I've never eaten a raw fig, either.

3. orientphoenix

orientphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    peel it and eat it, my parents wash em and eat them with the skin

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Figs can be eaten fresh, used in baking or made into fig preserves.

I have a large stand of fig trees just outside the door to one of my coops. Tons of fruit in late summer. If I don't beat the chickens to em, they get every last fig. The younger birds even fly up into the tree to dine.

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    we just pulled them off the tree and ate them. No peeling.

6. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Try them, you might like them!
    Make sure they are soft to the touch first...
    good and ripe!

7. cuntryuppiechick

cuntryuppiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    The dogs love them too. Peel and freeze. Throw in cereal instead of strawberries. Put into homemade granola, my favorite by far. Dehydrate for an on the go snack. Filling for Rugelach or cookies. Homemade vinegar. Let them be and feed the wild birds. They are about $7 a pound at the grocery store so if you get enough going you can resell them to wineries or jam makers. Depending on the variety they can be ripe when green to dark brown. My tree goes from grasshopper bright green to a light maroon. They go brown and wrinkle when they are rotten. Rain is very significant to what the flavor and production ends up being. Lots of rain will make bigger and more fruit but it will have less flavor. It also makes a difference if you get one or two huge downfalls versus a little rain for weeks and weeks.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  8. leonphelps

leonphelps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    figs sell here for .25 each. cant imagine you would have a problem with a tree that lets you make a couple hundred bucks a year.

9. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    They can't take deep cold, my father wraps his fig trees every fall in burlap. A fully ripen fig is like candy.

10. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Don't peel them. You are throwing away good food! Not to mention fiber. Chickens love them too! Pick it and eat the whole thing minus the stem. Yummy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by