Umbilical Cord?

stacymichelle08

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 4, 2014
Ok, my baby chick hatched yesterday. I placed him under the heat lamp in the house with the rest of the hatchlings from the past few days after he fluffed up and was dry. He had the big dried spot of the umbilical cord stuck under him looked like it was dried up Im assuming kind of like human babies look. Well today I looked in and one of the other babies had picked that off and now there is a piece of flesh looking stuff hanging out of there about 1/4 " pink and bloody looking but not bleeding, and around it is kind of poofy swollen. I separated him from the rest because I know they would continue to pick...but I am wondering if I should do anything with this or if it will dry up and fall off or what I should do! He isn't acting weird. I cleaned it off with peroxide because there was feces on it but I don't know what to do if anything...any suggestions or has anyone dealt with this before??!! It looks gross and painful but he doesn't seem to notice it. It looks like they pulled a string.....like when they grabbed that scab off it just pulled a thread of flesh out. Freaked me out so hopefully someone can help ease my mind!

Ok, my baby chick hatched yesterday. I placed him under the heat lamp in the house with the rest of the hatchlings from the past few days after he fluffed up and was dry. He had the big dried spot of the umbilical cord stuck under him looked like it was dried up Im assuming kind of like human babies look. Well today I looked in and one of the other babies had picked that off and now there is a piece of flesh looking stuff hanging out of there about 1/4 " pink and bloody looking but not bleeding, and around it is kind of poofy swollen. I separated him from the rest because I know they would continue to pick...but I am wondering if I should do anything with this or if it will dry up and fall off or what I should do! He isn't acting weird. I cleaned it off with peroxide because there was feces on it but I don't know what to do if anything...any suggestions or has anyone dealt with this before??!! It looks gross and painful but he doesn't seem to notice it. It looks like they pulled a string.....like when they grabbed that scab off it just pulled a thread of flesh out. Freaked me out so hopefully someone can help ease my mind!
Keep the chick separated until the area/scab has completely healed and fallen off or the other chicks will continue to pick at it. You can clean with betadine if need be, but really, as long as it is drying up and the chick is acting fine and eating and drinking and pooping, then that's all that is needed. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom