Umm.. how long do roosters crow for?

cluckcluck42

Songster
10 Years
Oct 4, 2009
Quebec
I just got my chickens last night
wee.gif
Posting a thread later with pics as soon as I get out to take some, couldnt find the camera last night. They are such funny little critters, we spent a good 45 minutes last night just watching them do their funny chicken stuff.

So, here I am, 5:30am (the rooster didnt wake me up oddly enough, just one of those mornings). Sitting here with the rooster crowing his face off and the dog barking to high heavens and whining about it. The cats are looking at me like maybe I should have a better handle on things.

How long do roosters typically crow in the morning? Will my neighbours across the lake hear? Will the city slicker neighbour who occassionaly comes up to his cottage in fall/winter next door have a poop fit?
lau.gif
Hey, he wanted to get away from the city, roosters crowing at 5am is about as far away from the city as you can get, right? I'm helping him with the experience... right!?
wink.png

I won't lie, I secretly hopedthe rooster would be a mute! Wishful thinking, who can blame me!?!
ep.gif
Darn is he ever pretty though. Americauna (EE) rooster, handsome little bugger. We said if he bothers us he goes in the pot, but his looks may save him.

Oh hey... when the heat comes on you can barely hear him. Problem solved for a few moments. (maybe I should share this with the neighbour, "hey just turn your heat way up!")

Last edited:
From my experience roosters crow during all hours of the day or even during bright full moons or if they catch a glimpse of some artificial lights(porch lights, car headlights,etc).

I can't remember what I knew about rooster's crowing before I had a rooster but I do know that pretty much every other person I know, thinks they are crow the moment the sun comes up and that's it. People will come over in the afternoon, hear them crow, and ask me if they are confused. They also seem to crow when they see new people/strangers.

You can hear them for a pretty good distance too. I feel like the crows of smaller roosters like any bantams can be heard a bit further than the crow of larger breeds. Sometimes I worry about the crowing bothering the neighbors since I do live close to them. Luckily no one has complained...yet.

Ours crows first thing in the morning, until we put some scratch down in the run,very rare at night. He'll crow during the day to the girls to let them know where the "group is" when they're out free ranging too, untill they are all together. He's been pretty good about it in the AM since I put a light on a timer. He starts around 4-430 or so.(lights on at 5 off at eight, on again at 3 off again at 7, auto pop door opens at 7 am , closes at 4;45 pm we get 3-5 eggs a day, 5 orps) We're up then anyway. Our closest nieghbor is 300 yards through the woods, so I'm sure he ain't bothering anyone but us when we want to sleep in.
tongue.png

Last edited:
My little Sicilian rooster crows all day. Any time I drive up in the drive way, walk out the back door, or make a noise out by the shop. It sets him off just like a out of control watch dog. I have heard him crow as early as 0300. Course we are very early risers here, 0500 is a late start for my household. I don't mind, and my one close neighbor enjoys hearing Stewie the Rooster crow.

One question--- Are you rural, are their any regulations in regards of chickens?

If you are rural and no regulations, then your neighbor should expect hearing a rooster crow.

Neighbors across the lake? In the quiet of morning I can hear another rooster crowing other than mine, and I know that other rooster is 1/2 mile away. Across a major hwy and 1/4 mile of thick wooded land. So your neighbors across the lake, if that lake is less than 1 mile across, I'd say yes, they can hear your rooster very well.

Crowing is what a rooster does, by and large they do it real good.

Roosters will also crow after dark, only if they feel the need to "sound the alarm" for some reason. For instance, my husband and I recently added a large shelf (to hold the nest boxes) and some chick pens in the coop, and wound up having to work after dark a few times. At first, the alpha roo would crow his head off to announce the intrusion; but eventually he learned to accept our presence without complaining too much. I wanted to mention this because if you hear crowing during the night, it could mean a predator is around!

I'm glad I found this thread. I just got a beautiful Gold Laced Wyandotte roo, about 6 months old, and he has been crowing for the last 2 hours. I was assuming it was because of the new home. He is quarantined with the two Silver Laced Wyandottes that were living in the same pen when I bought him. My flock is chattering about him and very curious. I'm sure my neighbors are chattering about him too...

Our rooster starts to crow about 430. This seems to wake the owls who then start to hoot as well.
Been doing this for about 8 years now and he was an old bird when he was given to us by a "town" chicken owner whose neighbours complained...

I'm glad I found this (although it's an old thread). I'm cracking up right now. We got a rooster on Sunday, he's a big beautiful bird, and apparently thinks he's one of the dogs. Monday morning he crowed once and I was thinking hey, this isn't so bad, yesterday he crowed 5 or 6 times at 2 pm when the neighbors dogs started howling and that was it. This morning he's been going for the last 1/2 hour non-stop. Fingers crossed that the neighbors don't care, our closest neighbor is maybe 150 yards away, and there are 4 other neighbors at varying distances, but the sound does carry up the canyon really well. They told us pre-rooster that they didn't mind if we got one, but we'll see now that he's here!

Well, they crow as long as they have something to crow about! Mine start whenever the roosters down the hill start, usually about 3:30-4 a.m. And, if there is something lurking around the barn, or if they see lights flash in their windows, or...or...or..... My son calls it "chicken music".

Back
Top Bottom