Umm.. how long do roosters crow for?

cluckcluck42

Songster
10 Years
Oct 4, 2009
Quebec
I just got my chickens last night
wee.gif
Posting a thread later with pics as soon as I get out to take some, couldnt find the camera last night. They are such funny little critters, we spent a good 45 minutes last night just watching them do their funny chicken stuff.

So, here I am, 5:30am (the rooster didnt wake me up oddly enough, just one of those mornings). Sitting here with the rooster crowing his face off and the dog barking to high heavens and whining about it. The cats are looking at me like maybe I should have a better handle on things.

How long do roosters typically crow in the morning? Will my neighbours across the lake hear? Will the city slicker neighbour who occassionaly comes up to his cottage in fall/winter next door have a poop fit?
lau.gif
Hey, he wanted to get away from the city, roosters crowing at 5am is about as far away from the city as you can get, right? I'm helping him with the experience... right!?
wink.png

I won't lie, I secretly hopedthe rooster would be a mute! Wishful thinking, who can blame me!?!
ep.gif
Darn is he ever pretty though. Americauna (EE) rooster, handsome little bugger. We said if he bothers us he goes in the pot, but his looks may save him.

Oh hey... when the heat comes on you can barely hear him. Problem solved for a few moments. (maybe I should share this with the neighbour, "hey just turn your heat way up!")

Last edited:
From my experience roosters crow during all hours of the day or even during bright full moons or if they catch a glimpse of some artificial lights(porch lights, car headlights,etc).

I can't remember what I knew about rooster's crowing before I had a rooster but I do know that pretty much every other person I know, thinks they are crow the moment the sun comes up and that's it. People will come over in the afternoon, hear them crow, and ask me if they are confused. They also seem to crow when they see new people/strangers.

You can hear them for a pretty good distance too. I feel like the crows of smaller roosters like any bantams can be heard a bit further than the crow of larger breeds. Sometimes I worry about the crowing bothering the neighbors since I do live close to them. Luckily no one has complained...yet.

Honestly there are crowing competitions for the rooster with the longest crow - that means ONE ear splitting very lengthy crow - till he is about out of breath period. It is not about
how many times a rooster can crow, one after another. It's how long one crow goes on. I bet you tube has videos.

Honestly there are crowing competitions for the rooster with the longest crow - that means ONE ear splitting very lengthy crow - till he is about out of breath period. It is not about
how many times a rooster can crow, one after another. It's how long one crow goes on. I bet you tube has videos.

haha i would like to see that! i will look
smile.png

I have 2 roosters and they start crowing around 4:30-5am and keep crowing until 30 min or so after the sun goes down. It got to the point that I researched the "no crow collars" and made one myself. I got a 2" wide piece of Velcro, about 10 inches long, double-sided (hooks on one side, loops on the other), wrapped that around the roosters' necks so that it was tight enough, and now they don't bother us at all. They still crow, it's just WAY quieter. It took them a few weeks to get used to it, and I had to adjust it a few times to keep them from choking during that first day - it's a fine line, tight enough to keep them from crowing, but not TOO tight. But it works, and I made 4 collars for about $2.50 (Michaels for the velcro, plus a coupon). Way cheaper than the $20 each that you'll find online.

Good luck, roosters can be great protection for the flock, but with the good comes the bad.

IF you really like the crowing and dislike your neighbors  - get a Tommaru ( I think is the name)   LONG CROWER     -  they seem to have an endless crow but, it does kinda finish up with a laughing sound.

Fortunately, I don't mind my neighbors. They all seem to be very down to earth, understanding people. Especially when it comes to animals. I know one other house had a rooster, not sure if they still do. There's a steer, sheep, goats, chickens, a horse, cats and lots of dogs between the 6 of us so I'm hoping no one even gives our dear Merlin a second thought.

I found a great way of getting rid of the crowing. I gave away the rooster, lol. I actually gave him away because he had a personal vendetta against me.

That's how we got our rooster, haha. Not because of a vendetta, but because his crowing annoyed their very close neighbors, and they had no hens. He was watching over a flock of ducks before he came here :)

I liked the fact his crowing annoyed the neighbors, but they got a yappy dog in retaliation, and he yaps for 1 hour after they leave for work, and 2 hours in the afternoon when all the different schools get out. I'd like to give him away too!

Haha! Yappy dogs are the worst! I probably can't say much though, my heeler howls like he thinks he's a hound dog. Our neighbors down the road breed hounds and our guy gets all of them going till they're having howling wars. I'm sure they love us, haha

Ours crows first thing in the morning, until we put some scratch down in the run,very rare at night. He'll crow during the day to the girls to let them know where the "group is" when they're out free ranging too, untill they are all together. He's been pretty good about it in the AM since I put a light on a timer. He starts around 4-430 or so.(lights on at 5 off at eight, on again at 3 off again at 7, auto pop door opens at 7 am , closes at 4;45 pm we get 3-5 eggs a day, 5 orps) We're up then anyway. Our closest nieghbor is 300 yards through the woods, so I'm sure he ain't bothering anyone but us when we want to sleep in.
tongue.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom