UMMMM is this what I think it is

Ok, I checked it. It is soft, and the poor baby hated it.. Every time I touched it, it did a little bounce as if in pain(I don't really blame it).. But I will see how it does in the morning and than decide what to do with it.. It will not go into my breeding group(but than again I want to get rid of all my roos and have just hens).

Quote:
Funny, my hubby said the same thing about the chick.
lau.gif

**UPDATE**

The little one made it through the night and has had it's 1st drink and food. It seems to be doing OK, so I will give it a chance.. I placed it with the other chicks and every one seems to be ok with it there.

Quote:
I wouldn't put that chick in with the others. They will kill it. They by nature go after anything red and instinct tells them to attack weaker/"not right" chicks. If you are going to try to save it you need to isolate and give it a stuffed animal or rolled up towel to cuddle with.

Yes she needs to be by her/himself. My first thought would be to place a section of warm wet paper towel over it to act as skin? Then I read the "no way its the brain it's too big" post and relized I'm most likely wrong.

Exencephaly is pretty common in chicks, most die way before they make it out to hatch though. It is a neural tube closure defect. I have had one too, who was actually worse than your's, but it could not pip so I found it when I opened eggs that did not hatch. It's brain is exposed... I would cull. It is a genetic defect, and even if it does survive, leaves the chick in a position where it can't really ever be a chicken. A pick to the head, walking into wire, or a bump on a feed dish could be disaster.

I should've said "I put in with the other chicks(in it's on little cage)".

This is what I get for letting my husband do the typing when I'm getting ready to do morning chores..
hmm.png

The little guys is going down hill, so he will be "culled". I don't have a prooblem with it, but my husband does(but he's not here now, so I can do what's needed).

Back
Top Bottom