ummy ummy treats for chickens!

glorialuver123

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 11, 2007
Walworth, NY
what are some yummy treats you give your chickens, that are easy, cause we have one injured one in our house and we want to pamper her so she doesn't get stressed

I just put about half a cup in a coffee cup and add water, I microwave it for for about 45 seconds to a minute and if it's sticky I add a little water to "loosen" it up. I add the yogurt to cool it down before I give it to the chickens. Have you never made oatmeal in the morning? It's good stuff! I like to cook ours on the stove with a little apple juice for flavor. mmmmm

Well I don't think the added sugar would be good for her. You could hard boil an egg and chop it up for her, shell and all. Do you have any veggies she likes? How badly is she injured? Is she eating and drinking OK?

o she's fine, they just picked on her a little to much, and she's just inside untill she heals, but i have some tomatos, i can try some eggs, thanks

gig.gif
My girls and boy just got their morning treat.

corn on the cob, Rice and a handfull of grapes! They're very happy right now!
gig.gif

Chicken treats? Mine love grits. Made exactly the same way you would make them for people (but without the butter and pepper!)--just grits, salt and water. They also like regular corn meal made the same way. The other day I made a pan of fresh "worms" that were EXTREMELY well received. I just boiled some spaghetti in some chicken flavored (which I did not mention!) bullion--to taste--and cooked al dente. It is hilarious to see a chicken eat 10" of "worm" in about 4 seconds! Another food that they seem to go bonkers for is fresh cooked shrimp. They grab it and run like hell to keep that prize! Mine also love, love LOVE corn on the cob. I impale it onto a blunted nail sticking up out of a 12" x 12" board to make it easier for them to peck it to pieces. I tried corn flakes on them (since it's one of my personal favorites) in dry flake, dry crunched-up, and moistened with milk. To my surprise they snubbed it in every form! Another thing they love is iceberg lettuce. (I will get around to trying romaine later.) I just wad up a leaf and hold it tightly in my fist, exposing more of it as the whole flock pecks it away. It's almost like a bunch of feathered Piranahs! The food really flies! It kills me that they will practically kill each other vying for a spot to eat lettuce out of my hand. But half of it ends up as bits on the ground and that, they think, is completely worthless! Naturally, they just make a mess and walk away!!

Back
Top Bottom