Uncertain Incubation??

I placed my eggs on lockdown this morning, at this point I'm doubtful anything is going to hatch. For anyone who buys a little giant brand incubator, I would suggest discarding the thermometer along with the packing material and spend a few extra $$ on a trustworthy thermometer and save yourself some of the trouble I have experienced.
X2, which LG did you have? The one with digital controls or the one with the little knob?

If you want to make your LG more stable, find a digital reptile thermostat with a remote probe. Put the probe in through the slot where the turner cord goes, or make a new one. Keep it away from the heating element. Put a fan in the incubator.

or build one with an STC-1000 type controller

Just turn the knob on the LG all the way up and let the digital controller do the job.

If you want to make your LG more stable, find a digital reptile thermostat with a remote probe. Put the probe in through the slot where the turner cord goes, or make a new one. Keep it away from the heating element. Put a fan in the incubator.

or build one with an STC-1000 type controller

Just turn the knob on the LG all the way up and let the digital controller do the job.
Is this what you used for a thermostat in your incubator? I'm impressed. I'm guessing that you wire it directly to your heat source?

I used the STC-1000 direct wire in my incubator. It powers up a receptacle, into which my ceramic emitter is plugged in. It works flawlessly.

I switched my LGs to use the STC-1000 last year after I had to watch the temp 24/7 with the knob style LG controller. I wired it up inside a duplex wall box and wired it to a receptacle.

Sorry, but I have better things to do that watch thermometers and worry if the room warms up! My home built incubator has been hands off since I started it, other than adding water to the tray.

The digital reptile ones are already built. You plug it into power, plug your heater into it, and put the probe in the incubator. Once calibrated, it should hold steady heat. There are a number of different models, different temp swing range, so shop around if going this route.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom